Seaguar Flourocarbon Line?

I am wondering if anyone can let me know if they have used the SEAGUAR STS FLUOROCARBON 40LB line as a top shot 50' section tied to the mainline braid? I have been looking at the Seaguar Blue label 40lb, but can not figure out why the Blue label is so much more expensive than the STS. The STS is much thinner diameter than the Blue Label one also and states that it is 30% better knot strength and superior abrasion. I'm confused. Any suggestions?

i personally wouldn’t use fluoro as a top shot to braid. fluoro is so stiff and doesn’t stretch at all. you need a bit of stretch to stop pulling hooks

Been using that exact combo now for over 18 years; went to STS when it came out due to cost. Change it every 5-6 days of fishing.

40# :eek: top shot.....you live lining for yellowfin?
Seaguar blue is a top quality leader but not really ideal for top shots in our application.
Just get a spool of quality mono for your top shots and save the floro for leaders IMO

same here just use the STS for hoochies and most of the leaders teaser heads, spoons

just use a 25-30lb maxi mono top shot or big game

Ive been using exactly what you are suggesting @salmoncker for almost a month now. Zero issues what so ever, use it every day and use it hard as my clients try to reel in springs like they are reeling in bass back home :eek:

I switched to the STS a few years ago from the blue label as its much cheaper. The STS seems a bit stiffer and will kink easier, but its worked well as leaders for teasers, spoons, and hootchies, also use it for cut plug rigs. As for top shot on braid, I've been using Big Game Triline for 3 years - works awesome. Provides a lot more stretch and lowered the rate of losing fish due to head shake vs the floro. Also, curious why you would use 50'? I'll usually run 30' which allows me to trim a foot or two off of it a couple of times. Also makes it really quick to know where you're at when clipping into your release clip.

40# holds in the clip MUCH better. Flouro MAY make a difference for Salmon & since I tied my plugs to the top shot I use it. Costs me 5-10 bucks a year as i don't fish as much anymore.

Back