Seafood Stuffed Zucchini & Squash!

IronNoggin

Two nights in a row, The Clan has gathered to celebrate Life once again!
The first eve was your standard rotisseried moose roast, which went off rather well..
Then, in the chat that followed, we began to discuss a rather strange (to me anyway) occurrence in my garden this year. Last fall I received a handful of Acorn Squash from the RoadMaster. They were YUMMY</u>, so I saved the seeds from a few, and then planted them this spring. Noticed a couple weeks ago, one of the plants was already bearing some product, but it certainly looked strange to me. Eventually the damn thing developed into a large zucchini. Yuck, I really don't like them much... Weird, but weirder still is the fact that on the same vine there is a couple of acorn squash developing normally. Never knew this sort of thing was even possible...

So, the conversation turned into just what to do with the strange monstrosity to try and make it edible. My thought was to stuff something good into it, and it turned out that Kat had just brought in about the right amount of fresh spot prawns to begin the idea. That particular train of thought kept us busy for almost an hour, and so, the plan was set to give it a whirl the very next night. That evening my neighbors rolled in, and when I informed them of what I was up to, they promptly invited themselves rounding out the total to nine for Din-Din...

After another refreshing run to the lake, I got down to working up the recipe...

Here's a shot of the "goodies" just before prep:

Zucc_Prep_1.jpg

A good handful of prawns, near 3 pounds of crab, 3 pounds of scallops, a handful of garlic scapes fresh from the garden, some 'shrooms, and 3 whole blocks of Philly! The "hybrid" zucchini wasn't likely in my mind to be quite enough to serve nine, so I tossed in an acorn to round out the meal.

Chopped the prawns in half after shelling, tossed in the scallops and crab, then added the finely chopped scapes. Nuked the Philly for 2 minutes to get it soft, then mixed the whole thing together with a dash of garlic and dill. Then, hollowed out the zucchini and squash, and carefully stuffed each with the mix, adding a splash of dill on top. Tossed them in the big pans and...

Zucc_Prep_2.jpg

Cooking took a tad better than an hour for the zucchini at 350 degrees, and 15 minutes less for the acorn. The smell was AWESOME, and we couldn't wait to dig in to my latest Experiment In Terror!

Zucc_Done_1.jpg

Zucc_Done_2.jpg

And how did it turn out? Man, this one knocked it right out of the Park! I've come up with some good ones over time, but this appears to be amongst the Very Best! All involved gorged to the point of bursting, and all noted they would drop by again for that one "any time"! [^]

To top off the feast, Carole brought along her very first homemade cherry pie! What a way to cap a great meal! Fantastic, and there was nada left of that when we wrapped it up either! Excellent Job Carole!

Dessert.jpg

So, there you have it. We've found a way to make even zucchini more than tolerable, and this recipe will be seeing some SERIOUS Use over the coming months!

Bon Appetite! :D

Cheers,
Nog

The PA diners club strikes again!
Those vegie things sure do look edible

i got a question about the garlic scapes, we got garlic growing and have a bunch of these scapes, now what do u do with them, just add them like garlic? luv garlic [:p] and it is the first time growing it so new to the scape thing
tks in advance

quote:Originally posted by dohboy

i got a question about the garlic scapes, we got garlic growing and have a bunch of these scapes, now what do u do with them, just add them like garlic?

Scapes should be harvested when they are curling, BEFORE</u> they straighten out. Cut just above and below the "flowering" (yellowish bulge) part into the green, slice thinly and use as you would regular garlic. Very subtle and velvety taste! ENJOY!! :D
Bonus is you'll get larger bulbs by cropping these.

The crab in the pix is a Tanner Crab (google for more info). He actually wasn't in the recipe, but looked a whole lot better posing than simply a pile of crab meat. He is "Chucky", a Tanner I stuffed way back when when working them. Cool little Bugger!

Craven: What?? A REAL Job? Are you NUTS?? :D

Cheers,
Nog

Geez that looks good Matt, You're killing me........damn diet.
Actually I was in Port last week, was driving by your place coming back from the J&L, going to the field marshalls house... saw you getting out of the S10, couldn't stop to chat maybe next time.
Dan

I didn't know that the garlic scapes were good for anything.I've got about 75 garlic bulbs on the go right now.I'll go out and get the scapes right now.
Dave

Back