Sea Sickness

the butcher

My brother comes fishing with me whenever he gets the opportunity ti get some time away from work. He has always had issues with sea sickness when the conditions aren't ideal. He tried gravol but it made him drousy but then he also took it while on the water. Hasn't tried the patch but heard good and bad things about it so he's not sure.

For those who have first hand experience with this issue, can you tell me what has worked for you and what didnt? I know everyone is different so what works for one person may not work for someone else and vice versa.. But it would be nice to give him some options to try.

I can't offer him any suggestions beccause I am lucky in that I don't get seasick very often.

I always tell my guests before going to be take a gravol or whatever and then in am just take half a pill as you need it in your system to work if you are on the water and try and take it i have never seen it work.
Also tell them if they are feeling ill dont hold it back let it rip LOL LOL

my brother gets it really bad and it lasts for days. He took the pharmaceutical patch this year on the wcvi and it was a game changer for him. He would stay off the boat before now he has no problem. No sure what it is called but it works for him.

Lots of previous posts on this read the one posted by Chasin' Dreams. After 34 years in Navy I think I may have seen, been involved in and suffered the dreaded sickness, many many many times. The only thing that does work is the scopolamine Transdermal Patch, works for nearly all people for every sea condition for the stated and longer time with the least side effects. IF you put on as directed.

HM

My buddy Kent swears by mustard. He will put back 200-250ml of mustard before heading out in the morning. Then at lunch time he will smuther a corn dog so thick in mustard you can’t see any batter... On a 4 day trip it is not uncommon to bring 4 bottles of mustard. Might not work for everyone but Kent swears by it!

BBB

MUSTARD wow whatever works
But I have a even better one I tell people I say "DO YOU HAVE ANY CHOCOLATE BARS????"

Some say yes some say no but always get the same response back...."Will it help cure it????????"

I say NO but it tastes better when you puke it back up .................LMAO

I am very rarely subject to sea sickness although it is usually not extreme and usually on short rollers at the beginning of the season before I get my sea legs. The Scopolamine patches are amazing and work for several days so you are good for the weekend unless it gets rubbed off from behind your ear from your clothing. Be careful what you wear for clothing near the patch or pulling clothing off over your head and shorter hair is better. I also keep gravol on board but it can make you sleepy and ginger is an ancient cure for settling the stomach. Don't do up close work where the eye perceives a lot of movement and have them watch the horizon. Letting them steer the boat and watch the horizon sometimes helps.

Last edited:
Having a drink of cold water helps. I'm prone to sea sickness and I think fever and dehydration is a part of it. Keep your eyes above deck. Pick your days.

There were a couple of trips where dropping me off at Beachy Head saved everybody's day. I considered swimming to shore at Camper Crk. once for the same reason. Being sea sick is the worst.

Tried them all and the best for me as it works for 12 hrs and no sleepiness is Bonemine. In Canada you have to get it at compounding pharmacies like the one at Helmecken and Old Island Hwy.

Best drink is apple juice, tastes the same going down as it does coming back up. Cant imagine a good mustard barf?? Sleep, being well rested and well hydrated does effect your getting sick.

HM

When I commercial fished I used bronine it’s only available in the states, I stocked up when ever I was down there it’s better than gravol and it doesn’t make you drowse

Back