Sea lions and whales

Trophy21

Crew Member
I am hosting an Italian exchange student and would like to know if the sea lions are at middlenatch?
Has anyone seen whales lately? Where would be good area to search? Thanks guys!

If you don’t see Sea lions at middlenatch check vivian island and Rebecca rocks off Powell river. They are always there .

I am hosting an Italian exchange student and would like to know if the sea lions are at middlenatch?
Has anyone seen whales lately? Where would be good area to search? Thanks guys!
Buddy of mine was just on Mittlenatch for a week and was talking about sea lions - let me get a few details and get back to you,

Buddy of mine was just on Mittlenatch for a week and was talking about sea lions - let me get a few details and get back to you,

Really?! what was your buddy doing on Mitlenatch for a week? i’m assuming some sort of scientist or researcher?
OPs question i was there a few weeks ago to try and show some friends some sea lions; none were there at the time but there’s always seals there.

Really?! what was your buddy doing on Mitlenatch for a week? i’m assuming some sort of scientist or researcher?
OPs question i was there a few weeks ago to try and show some friends some sea lions; none were there at the time but there’s always seals there.
Buddy is an ex-commercial troller, who was a volunteer observer there for a naturalist group - does it every year. He had a great story about a transient breaching beside his kayak. He says there were about 20 Stellars there 2 weeks ago.

Buddy is an ex-commercial troller, who was a volunteer observer there for a naturalist group - does it every year. He had a great story about a transient breaching beside his kayak. He says there were about 20 Stellars there 2 weeks ago.

Thanks Eden island!

I don"t know the differance in seals .a seal is a seal and some are big .Dyke rd comox courtenay flood tide .veiw seals in there playground .20 or more at one time .they realy like the boundery marker off the air strip .Seals hang around the fishers on shore in Royston , as the seals has put the salmon in front of you and have the fisher do the work for the seals meal.I went rowing in the comox bay and had 5 seals following the boat for 4 hours,I gave up ,no reward and came to shore.Almost need decoy fishermen petending to have fish on ,to let the fisher have a chance at a few fish passing by.

I don"t know the differance in seals .a seal is a seal and some are big .Dyke rd comox courtenay flood tide .veiw seals in there playground .20 or more at one time .they realy like the boundery marker off the air strip .Seals hang around the fishers on shore in Royston , as the seals has put the salmon in front of you and have the fisher do the work for the seals meal.I went rowing in the comox bay and had 5 seals following the boat for 4 hours,I gave up ,no reward and came to shore.Almost need decoy fishermen petending to have fish on ,to let the fisher have a chance at a few fish passing by.
Pretty easy to tell the differences between harbour seals and "sealions" or fur seals.

Harbour seals are medium to large dog-size - are only moderately decent swimmers wrt speed, distance and power - have no ears - and reasonably small home ranges. They can go up rivers quite far and often into lakes. They do have spots that the females pup in the spring - but no harems.

Sea lions or fur seals are pretty much on the opposite end of that spectrum - large man to bear size - small ears - males are huge and have harems on rocks in the late spring through summer - can swim exceptionally well - often bark - teen-age males often form their own packs on rocks and are quite aggressive (e.g. seal rocks near Rupert). Sea lions are often near the mouth of rivers but rarely come too far up the river - esp. if the river is shallow.

Back