Sea lion Cull

Sea.P.P.

if the goverment did a sea lion cull say 25,000 , animals. How many extra chinooks would be around for the orca,s. The meat could be proscessed and given to homeless shelters across the country. So it would put native hunters to work on the cull, feed the hungry save the whales. When a herd of caribou are under attach ,first thing the feds do is cull the wolves. My 2 cents

if the goverment did a sea lion cull say 25,000 , animals. How many extra chinooks would be around for the orca,s. The meat could be proscessed and given to homeless shelters across the country. So it would put native hunters to work on the cull, feed the hungry save the whales. When a herd of caribou are under attach ,first thing the feds do is cull the wolves. My 2 cents

Way too much logic in this statement my friend. This is a government agency you are speaking of, common sense must be left out of it.

Second thing is, most wolf populations are in remote areas far from the public eye, oh they get a little attention but most culls take place and they don't even tell anyone. They start popping off sea lions and seals around the Gulf Islands lol, well you take a guess.

Way too much logic in this statement my friend. This is a government agency you are speaking of, common sense must be left out of it.

Second thing is, most wolf populations are in remote areas far from the public eye, oh they get a little attention but most culls take place and they don't even tell anyone. They start popping off sea lions and seals around the Gulf Islands lol, well you take a guess.
Gonna be interesting if 22s are out at the pink apartment lol.

The meat could be proscessed and given to homeless shelters across the country. So it would put native hunters to work on the cull, feed the hungry save the whales.
Who would process this meat? There is one place that is certified to process seal meat and its in Newfoundland. The govt would have to ship it there or pay a processor to set up a line here to process it. The line would have to be separate from other lines, and the low volumes vs other industrial meat lines would make it very expensive to process. Seal is difficult to process because the meat is full of oil, which goes rancid quickly if its not processed quickly. The logistics of killing these animals at a distance from the processor and transporting would require boats capable of initial processing of the carcasses and getting them on ice for transport. To top it off the meat from a mature sea lion is not going to be palatable. The east coast sealers despite govt grants to try and find markets haven't had success in getting anyone to buy it because its is not a pleasant meat. Its not like beef or any other ungulate meat, its much darker, the fat isn't marbled in the meat, its like a grease throughout it and its tastes fishy. And that is young milk fed harp seals that have never eaten a fish. So by the time all the costs are added up, it would almost certainly be cheaper to give the homeless beef steaks, at least they would eat those. All of this doesn't even consider the toxin load these animals contain (Transient Killer whales are one of the most contaminated animals on earth due to eating seals and sea lions). If the govt is going to kill seals or sea lions, they just need to make that decision, many of the carcasses will not be recovered at the kill site, the ones that are would probably be shipped to West Coast Reduction to make meal, which perhaps they could sell into pet food, or dispose of in a land fill if not.

Sounds like the best then be a cull and just feed the crabs and shrimp. Save the chinooks and maybe a whale or two

Okay group "protecting" the pinnipeds advocates for half to be culled.

Who the hell is the Sports Fishing Institute of BC that is against the advocated cull?

I think the meat should go to making fish farm pellets and take some of the pressure off the herring

I think the meat should go to making fish farm pellets and take some of the pressure off the herring

Fish farms can’t sell products into the USA if their operation kill seals. I’d imagine they wouldn’t want the toxic meat or worse publicity.

Any big company that gets envovled in seal killing would be blacklisted so fast.

Here we go. Oregon has tried to relocate Sea Lions, didn't work. Now they are culling them to protect the steelhead below Willamette Falls.

Let's hope in this case Canada can look at the results and get the data they need to make the best decision for methods in our waters.

https://www.citynews1130.com/2019/01/10/oregon-begins-killing-sea-lions-after-relocation-fails/

The US program is very different from what is being proposed by the balance society in BC. The limited program in the Columbia basin replaces a very limited program that preceded it. The US program allows removal of problem animals within the Columbia river basin, with Willamette falls and the fish ladder at the Bonneville dam being hot spots. I believe they can take up to 900 animals in the entire river (this article mentions being able to take 93 at the falls alone) . The expansion of the program on the Columbia was backed by studies by the fish and Wildlife branch and hopefully will become a model for management at man made or natural barriers that certain animals have learned to exploit.

Last edited:
Back