Sea lice..what sea lice???

Barbender

Finally some light being shed on the truth behind all the anti salmon farming "experts".

NorthIslandMidweek.com
Opinion: Bruce Lloyd
Published: October 12, 2009 1:00 PM
“A lie’s halfway round the world while truth is still putting on its shoes.”
– Mark Twain
Well, well, well, turns out that all the claims about sea lice virtually decimating our salmon stocks seem to be just a wee bit exaggerated, eh? What a surprise! Lo and behold, besides the massive return of pink salmon in the “doomed” Broughton Archipelago, once again, someone has finally done a thorough job of linking the financing of the various eco-doomsayers with the Alaska seafood people who embarked long ago on a planned economic attack on farmed salmon for the benefit of their market share.
Yesiree Bob, some of our “enviro-heroes” have turned out to be more like greedy grabbers who have been getting paid big money to heap the hyperbole on behalf of our Yankee friends.
They’re like their conniving cousins in the lumber tariff lobby will do their utmost to deviously destroy Canadian industry in the name of the environment so that they can make the big bucks via cross-border con games. Lawyers team up with fading fishing companies, eco-lobbyists, and our own fishy fundamentalists who wish to slaughter in the name of sport, but ensure that nary a person works in the long-practised pursuit of fish husbandry.
But I’m ahead of myself.
Salmon farm advocate Vivian Krause has produced a 14-page paper named “Sea Lice Research: Science or Marketing?” In a nutshell, an American fishing industry organization named “SeaWeb” has paid in excess of US$8.5 million to co-ordinate a program called “Seafood Choices.”
This marketing strategy puts pressure on such stores as Wal-Mart and the like to only sell seafood certified by the Marine Stewardship Council which is primarily Alaska salmon.
he overblown claims and constant attack on fish farms that we have witnessed here in B.C. has in large part been proof of the veracity of the old adage that “if you say something long enough it becomes fact” to be sure.
Despite a body of evidence contrary to the claims, a large portion of our population believes that sea lice, an eternally present natural pest in our waters, is almost solely responsible for any poor salmon stocks on our coast.
Not commercial or recreational over-fishing, not the predominance of marine mammal populations, and definitely not our sorry past of bulldozing and logging salmon streams. Nay, it be solely sea lice according to our well-monied American friends and their paid lackeys.
Never mind that such “green” organizations – such as the Packard Foundation and others – have drawn monies from this “innocent” industrial fund to pay for “research” that runs contrary to a lot of the peer-reviewed research other organizations have been doing.
This paper, among others, is a must for anyone wishing to seek a balanced truth regarding the salmon wars.
Krause exposes the yellow underbelly of a typical American eco-imperialism that we have seen countless times before in this war and others.
The interesting local items for me were the funds provided to Sointula’s Living Oceans Society and Echo Bay eco-guru Alexandra Morton. Enjoy the revelation and be sure to follow this somewhat suspect “crisis!”

Not a lot of candlepower in that op/ed.
I googled Vivian Krause and "Sea Lice Research: Science or Marketing?". Nothing comes up. I guess we will just have to take Mr. Lloyd's word for the veracity of Krause's research.
I did get a hit on SeaWeb though;
http://www.seaweb.org/aboutus/board.php
Check out the last guy on their board of directors, a 30 year aquaculturist who served on the board of the World Aquaculture Society and founding member and past president of the European Aquaculture Society. Written over 40 papers on aquaculture. Presently grows sturgeon for caviar. Managed Stolt Sea Farms in France, Spain and Portugal growing turbot. (don't they grow them in closed containment?)
Hardly someone who would promote Alaskan salmon over farmed salmon I would think.

quote:Originally posted by cuttlefish

Not a lot of candlepower in that op/ed.
I googled Vivian Krause and "Sea Lice Research: Science or Marketing?". Nothing comes up. I guess we will just have to take Mr. Lloyd's word for the veracity of Krause's research.
I did get a hit on SeaWeb though;
http://www.seaweb.org/aboutus/board.php
Check out the last guy on their board of directors, a 30 year aquaculturist who served on the board of the World Aquaculture Society and founding member and past president of the European Aquaculture Society. Written over 40 papers on aquaculture. Presently grows sturgeon for caviar. Managed Stolt Sea Farms in France, Spain and Portugal growing turbot. (don't they grow them in closed containment?)
Hardly someone who would promote Alaskan salmon over farmed salmon I would think.
I'm always appreciative of your logic and effort in keeping the dialogue honest on these threads, cuttlefish.

I googled "Bruce Lloyd". Apparently, he submitted something (pro-aquaculture?) to the THE LEGGATT INQUIRY and to the Special Committee on Sustainable Aquaculture and listed himself as being from Port McNeill where he worked at a farmed-fish processing plant

http://www.leg.bc.ca/cmt/38thparl/session-2/aquaculture/reports/Rpt-38-2-1-SCSA-14Dec2006.htm

He blogged a similar article called "Alaska fingerprints all over the “Smoking Gun”" on http://alaskasalmonranching.wordpress.com/

There is also a Mr Bruce Lloyd who worked the aquaculture industry in Austrailia, and who runs his own Bruce Lloyd Media Services - for Public relations. Not sure if this is all the same fellow, or not.

However, there is a Bruce Lloyd who is a councillor from Port Alice (near Port McNeill) who writes a bi-monthly column and who wrote:
http://www.portalice.ca/pdf/RS-Feb-Mar.pdf

"I suggest one can see how an ignorant assumption without knowledge of the laws of the land can cause a person to err significantly in assessing"

Maybe we should let his own words ring in his own ears, since this was only an op-ed piece...

Bruce Lloyd's opinion.................[|)]

I beleive my opinion still suggests to err on the side of caution and not rule out variables that are directly linked to the demise of our natural resource. Why the opposition? I do not understand.

BARBENDER: Are you for real? I thought certain you were shooed in disgrace from this forum months ago?

WTF?

quote:Originally posted by SerengetiGuide

I believe this is the Bruce Lloyd from Port Alice...not the Aussieland one.

Also, I don't think it's fair to "shoo" anyone from the forum just because their opinion is different than yours...
X2
How else can we ever come close to the truth? [8)]

Like... might I have the reference for this quote? “A lie’s halfway round the world while truth is still putting on its shoes.” – Mark Twain

I am sure Mark Twain "must" have stated that or no one in their right mind would use it as a quote, but the only thing I seem to be able to find takes me back to the "fish farms"? I can't find anywhere showing Mark Twain actually did make that statement? It must be buried in one of his many books?:)

Please can someone enlighten me, as I would very much be able to quote it myself?? [:0]

Here is a quote to keep in mind: “Whether ours shall continue to be a government of laws and not of men is now before Congress and ultimately the American people.” - Special Prosecutor Archibald Cox - after his firing by Richard M Nixon, Oct 20 1973.

Back