Sea Foam question

papalorge

My portable tanks are empty but id like to run the engine and clean the carbs a bit before being put away for winter. It may be just me but I found the seafoam directions a little hard to understand, how much should I add to say a gallon of gas?

This is the first time Ive used this product I usually just add the enzyme treatment but I'd like to see if I can clean the carbs this way before pulling them off.

Thanks for any help

as far as I know, you cannot over dose the Sea Foam. I normally just eye ball and go a bit heavy rather than going light

I use Yamaha ring free exclusively for fuel stabilizer and engine treatment.
The guys on the east coast that put mega hours on their motors will advertise that they used ring free from hour one and they will get extra money on their engines when they sell.
The Yamaha parts dealer I get it from is very savvy and he says he uses it religiously in everything he owns that burns gas. It wasn't he that turned me onto the product, but he's another example of how good the stuff works.

The only thing is that you will see the stuff in your sight glass as a darker fluid so don't be alarmed

You've probably already done the work -- but for next time you can also get the spray can of Seafoam. Spray it directly into the carb while the engine is running and make the boat stall. It cleans out the carb jets of any gunk. If you then take your plugs out and spray some in each cylinder and lightly turn over the engines that's a good way to winterize or store the engine until next season -- it's what I do for my kicker, lawnmower, trimmer etc... When you restart, they smoke like hell at first and then settle down as the crap gets burnt off. I will also pour about 1/4 can into the tank to stabilize the fuel for the season.

Spraying Seafoam into the throats of the carb will not clean out the jets or any part of the fuel delivery system. Sea foam would need to be mixed in with the fuel to have any effect on those components.

Hey Gents, any tips on Seafoaming an older Mariner/Yamaha? I have an 80's 30hp and want to run the Seafoam through it.

I have two portable tanks that I use, one I just filled up and pre-mixed yesterday with non-ethanol gas and put on a couple KMs ripping around the lake for 10 minutes. The other tank is empty.

Would you recommend adding the seafoam to the existing full tank of premixed gas, or use the empty tank, put in a set amount of gas and seafoam and go that route?

What I don't want to have happen is put the seafoam into the full tank then go out boating the next time and be smoking up and down the lake. If I add a smaller amount to the full tank, will it create a smoke show, or will it more gently begin to do its thing?

Or is better to do a treatment only run in my driveway using a set amount of gas in a fresh/empty gas can?

If you follow the instructions on the bottle it will gently do its thing, no smoke or drivability issues.
I think 1 can is good for 16 gal. Near the end of the season I double up and it's acts as fuel stabilizer.

Last edited:
If you're planning on doing the SeaFoam "Shock Treatment" where you dump an entire can into a tank, what I do is follows:

Warm up engine on regular fuel.
Connect a small tank with fuel mixed with an entire can of SeaFoam - start and run the engine -- better if you can take it for a good run for 10-15 mins -- I do this in a 1 gallon tank.
Let the Engine Sit for 30 minutes and then start again. It will smoke like hell -- this is the crud burning off - take it for another 10 min rip with the SeaFoam in the tank still
Let it sit again for 30 mins -- and start -- it may still smoke -- but likely less this time. Can take it for another rip or not. You are now clean.

It won't hurt simply running the entire can through the tank as normal. The boat generally won't smoke after the first few moments as the crud burns off. You'll find that subsequent starts it smokes less and less so don't worry about simply running that tank of fuel as normal -- OR -- do the same treatment on your lawnmower, weed wacker, chainsaw etc until you're out.

Back