Scupper pump anyone?

mr killer

my self draining deck does not drain very efficiently I've been thinking since last season I'd like to add a pump to the scupper lines to increase it's efficiency. the scuppers often clog with debris, so I was thinking some sort of macerator pump would be the best bet. I would think a regular bilge would be ok but would probably clog up. I'd just like the water off the deck as fast as possible after wash downs I frequently sponge the deck off which is a nuisance. just wondering if anyone has done any mods to their self draining deck scuppers. I'm looking at adding two pumps one for each scupper, just looking for advice it doesn't seem like this is a very common modification I haven't found a pump designed specifically for this application. Just want to tap the vast knowledge out there on the forum any input is appreciated.

what kind of hull? i cannot remember the nautical term for them but you could make much larger scuppers,, trash box? dunno,, have just seen them on boats...instead of doing something mechanical/electrical.. gusher box, fawk i can't remember...

it's fibre glass i'll have a look at that I think there are a couple option I could just cut a hole in the deck to drain into the bilge well but don't really want to mess with the boat too much. just concerned if I leave the boat in the water and the scuppers plug up could turn into a problem. just thought maybe somebody had a pump hooked up to the line to help suck the water out, but doesn't sound like that's the case. thanks for the tip.

it's fibre glass i'll have a look at that I think there are a couple option I could just cut a hole in the deck to drain into the bilge well but don't really want to mess with the boat too much. just concerned if I leave the boat in the water and the scuppers plug up could turn into a problem. just thought maybe somebody had a pump hooked up to the line to help suck the water out, but doesn't sound like that's the case. thanks for the tip.

I agree with TW - self-draining: no electric/mechanical fix should ever be necessary, nor is that a desirable solution. DO NOT drain to the bilge; that could be a disaster if much water ever came onboard. If it's slow draining, just increase the size of the components: 2 - 3" grates at the rear corners, 2" lines and 2" thru-hulls above the waterline works fine for me. And it's certainly unlikely, with normal maintenance, that they would both plug up.

Last edited by a moderator:
i hear you Foxsea I wasn't going to cut the deck open, I don't even think the lines are 2" I'll measure them and figure it out, it's a bad design and I've got to figure out how to fix it. thanks for the advice.

i hear you Foxsea I wasn't going to cut the deck open, I don't even think the lines are 2" I'll measure them and figure it out, it's a bad design and I've got to figure out how to fix it. thanks for the advice.

I would suggest trying to make the scuppers bigger. Mine are 3" in diameter and everything goes out and never get clogged. I just have some motor cycle innertube material on the outside about 8" long and it works great for a "floppy" valve. Hard to explain but the water goes out and when you get a wave or push from the back the tube folds and shuts itself. Pretty simple but it works.

I'm going to look at switching to 3" I think that's the ticket. Heading out for a fish right now. have a good one guys!

Back