Scotty Rail Mount DR Locking Options

kaelc

Anyone figure out a great way to lock their Scotty Rail Mounts? I have locks to slow down the swivel and mounting bolt, but I need something for the 4 quick removal bolts that are easy to remove.
https://www.amazon.ca/Scotty-Stanchion-Rail-Mount-Downriggers/dp/B009XFMUF6?
th=1&psc=1&source=googleshopping&locale=en-CA&tag=googcana-20&ref=pd_sl_9iiuzng32_e

Thanks and shop local, just using this link for the photo!

I weave a bicycle cable lock through the spool and around the rail when in a marina and take the downriggers off the rest of the time.

Damn, I was thinking about filling the hex holes with epoxy at one point but that makes it permanent.

Never really thought about someone stealing my mounts after I've removed the DR's but I guess those 4 fasteners would come off pretty fast if they really wanted them.

Kaelc,,I have the exact same mounts shown in your attachment. The threaded portion on mine extends past the knob by about 3/8". If you have no need to remove them why not put a dab of weld on a portion of thread at the end or just flatten the thread 1/8" to 3/16" back from the end. If you ever had to replace them you could just zip the damaged end off with a grinder. I haven't done this with mine but now you got me thinking. Another idea would be to weld a washer on end of the rod/bolts and again you could just grind off if you ever had a need to remove them.

I really do not think that there is a way to prevent a thief from taking downriggers mounted on a rail. A battery operated sawzall would cut through the rail or mount like butter. Gone in 30 seconds.

Damn, I was thinking about filling the hex holes with epoxy at one point but that makes it permanent.

Actually many epoxys go soft with heat. You can then push the hex key into the softened epoxy and turn the bolt. Put a little grease on the surrounding plastic, or spray it with a release agent and the epoxy that squeezes out won't stick. Doesn't take a lot of hear either.

Yes, the rail can be cut, the bike lock can be cut. Another solution is to use old 1106s and park beside boats with 2106s.
The other part of the equation is for all us to start publicly shaming people that buy hot stuff.

Back