Scotty puller runs backwards

Capt_Ed

Crew Member
So I just bought 2 new 1106's and a Scotty Puller, the boat I bought last year already had new style plugs and the new Riggers work as they should. Plug the puller into either plug and the runs backwards. I know at least one plug is wired properly as I just redid it due to a small corrosion problem I didn't like the look of. Any ideas or suggestions

If the above suggestion doesn't work check that your recepticle isn't shorting out. Check for corrosion.

If the wires on the recepticals were backwards (and I know there not) wouldn't the riggers go backwards also. I agree with Wolf to change the puller plug but that would mean Scotty screwed up.

Sorry to highjack----The plugs on both of my DR's (not installed by me) can be installed into the receptacle at 180 degree rotations . One way pulls it in the other lets it out. Only found out when a friend had plugged them in and as he was trying to pull the lead up it just continued to drop. Now I test check them before putting the balls in the water. Would not have thought that you could rotate the plugs like that. Design issue or just cheap plugs ?????

Sorry , you can't rotate the plug (old or new style) and change a damn thing if it's a Scotty setup, but you can wire the plug incorrectly, and then you switch the positive and negative wires as has been stated.

Take it apart or the downrigger plugs and reverse the polarity or the puller.

If you have a meter and the leads are plugged in red to red black to black. Then the receptacle that show -12volts is wired wrong (reversed). Easiest to just reverse to pullers wires, like wolf says

are you routing your line through the wheel correctly? my dad had this same backwards experience.. he ran the rope through the wrong way. lol

Sorry , you can't rotate the plug (old or new style) and change a damn thing if it's a Scotty setup, but you can wire the plug incorrectly, and then you switch the positive and negative wires as has been stated.
Hi Red Monster. Not sure if Scotty has their own brand named plugs or not but mine have Marinco on them so I'm guessing that's the brand name. I can assure you that they do go in at 180 degree rotations. They are 4 years old now but first noticed it could be done about 2 years ago when a friend had one switched and sent a ball to the bottom when he thought he was pulling it up. Maybe just wear in the plugs but both can be flipped and it reverses the downrigger rotation. "Insert" is stamped on the plug and this would be the correct rotation when inserted that way but they have been flipped over by those unaware of the position. Green tape in the 3rd pic shows a 180 rotation.

These were installed by the folks I bought the boat from. If Scotty has their own brand of plugs I will look into replacing these so that they can't be installed incorrectly.

Sorry Capt_Ed for jumping on your thread again.

IMG_4646.jpeg IMG_4647.jpeg IMG_4648.jpeg

I spoke with Scotty yesterday and they were very understanding and asked if I would switch the wire on the puller plug and make sure I let them know the outcome. They said everything gets tested before it leave the factory but I guess **** happens

;)
Chuck the riggers and try mooching :)

I mooched for 10 years when I was Captain aboard the Charlotte Queen At Hippa. I agree a lot easier way to fish but now that I'm in Telegraph Cove And every boat runs riggers here it's a little harder to sit and mooch. I still do though

I have the new style Scotty plugs and sockets, and the plugs can only be inserted one way, not rotated 180 degrees. I re and re both downriggers every time I go out, and the plug goes in one way only. Maybe they have two kinds of the new style plugs/sockets? But it would be really dumb if you could insert the plug to make the rigger pull the wrong direction.

Last edited:
I checked my Scotty plugs, and they indeed have bigger and smaller prongs so the plugs can only fit one way into the sockets which have corresponding bigger and smaller openings. So on mine you can only reverse the wiring (not the plugs) to reverse the direction the rigger turns. That's a goofy setup if you have a plug that can be inserted to cause the rigger to turn the wrong way.

Scotty-Depthpower-Electric-Plug-Socket-Marinco-a34c783b-6e93-4ae5-888b-baf6a5a2246f.jpg

Back