Scotty puller modification question

Olde School

ADMIN: If this post isn't in the correct area, please move it?

Have you tried to modify your Scotty puller for increased retrieval speed?

I have a Scotty puller and it's pros and cons balance out for me. I WILL KEEP IT.
There is, for me, one wish - the rate of retrieval could be faster ;-) Please note that I'm fully aware of the potential problems of increasing the rate, but my prawning area and traps will accommodate an increase.

I opened the lid, wondering if it would be easy to replace a gear. No dice there!

It appears the easiest thing to try is to increase the diameter of the grey pulley.
Doing some math, an increase in the diameter from the OEM of 54mm to 70mm would yield a 30% increase in retrieval rate.
I've had the grey pulley apart also, and don't see an easy way to modify that. I do not have a machine shop :)
My best idea so far is to wrap some sort of tape around the grey pulley until its diameter is what I want. Which tape would be best? Or is there a better idea out there?
I haven't contacted Scotty about this.

Last edited:
A good experiment but if you change the pulley ratio as you suggest, you will reduce the lifting capacity

Let me know if you try this how it turns out. I wonder if you could just wind some cut rope onto the pulley to increase the diameter. That would be the easiest experiment...in fact I'm going to try that next time out, whenever that is.

Let me know if you try this how it turns out. I wonder if you could just wind some cut rope onto the pulley to increase the diameter. That would be the easiest experiment...in fact I'm going to try that next time out, whenever that is.
I use 5/16" diameter poly so I'd have to use rope much smaller in order to not have my poly fall into the gaps. I like your idea and will try some gangion with perhaps some hockey tape.

Back