scotty electric issue.......backward retrieval?

Wooly

hope this is ok to be on this thread.........if not sorry.

Anyway I hope this is just an easy fix. My boat is 600km away from me at the moment but my old man said the one down rigger on the port side runs backwards when plugged in one way. So if plugged in the bad way, and you go to retrieve(bring up) the cannon ball it actually drops it. if you switch the plug around it will run fine. Anyone know where to start? obviously some sort of wiring issue?

Thanks for your help!

wooly

before swapping the plug swap the rigger from the other side if it does it too swap the wires around on the boat recepticle not the rigger plug end,
otherwise your going to have to remember which rigger goes where

The arrow markers on the plug are counterintuitive. They're the Negative.
I'm guessing one of yours is swapped

Scotty plugs should only go in one way. What kind of down rigger and electrical connections?

Scotty plugs should only go in one way. What kind of down rigger and electrical connections?
Scotty plugs do only go in one way but I've seen a few plugs or recepticals wired onto the terminals reversed, thus causing the issue of the downrigger going in the wrong direction

I have one on my boat that does the same thing . Its a faulty female plug. You can plug it in ether way and it will run forward or backward. I just give it a quick tap on the button to see what way she spins. Prob should change it one day but ???

I have one on my boat that does the same thing . Its a faulty female plug. You can plug it in ether way and it will run forward or backward. I just give it a quick tap on the button to see what way she spins. Prob should change it one day but ???

lol, holy crap, rewire that chit. do you have an inline fuse? if not , from what you are describing is a recipe for a fire!

If you can plug it in either way, the plug or receptacle is worn. You should only be able to plug it in one way. In any event once you figure out which is the correct way to plug it in so that it retrieves line, just put a dab of bright yellow paint on the plug and the receptacle, and you will know next time.

yeah the receptacle was worn it can go in either way. i just replaced the receptacle. all is good now. thanks for the advice everyone!

If you can plug it in either way, the plug or receptacle is worn. You should only be able to plug it in one way. In any event once you figure out which is the correct way to plug it in so that it retrieves line, just put a dab of bright yellow paint on the plug and the receptacle, and you will know next time.
Its not worn, it was like that right out of the package . It wasn't a big deal so i haven't replaced it. My riggers stay on the boat cause its parked inside so i dont unplug them very often if ever !

I like to put a white line over the arrow side so it's more stupid proof.

We can all get tired or work in the dark

Back