Scotty electric id?

ChilliSpoons

IMG_6550.JPG IMG_6552.JPG One of my neighbors just sold his boat but kept the electric downrigger for me. He wasn't a fisherman and the downrigger came with the boat when they purchased it a few years back.

How do I identify the model of the downrigger? I don't see a number plate or any other identifying tags.

What kind of boom does it have? (What's the length of it and does it extend?)

I would offer that it looks like moderately older style 1101 (30") or an 1106 (36-60" extendable boom) Depthpower based on what appears to be a boom diameter of 1 1/4".

I'd guess that it's an 1101.

No serial number under the lid in the control box area?

The boom is extendable, tomorrow I'll measure the diameter. I'll also have to check under the lid for a serial number

its old very old ....lol
you will find its a twin belt type and it looks like its sat on a newer swivel base as the locking pin seams to be the wider pin type
also tell by the red handle and tilt up locking bolt red end

It is a belt driven model.

What is the main issues with these older models? Speed? Power? Reliability?

I'm currently boatless so it may be a couple years before it sees any use.

It's the old model, 1" only, you can tell by the way the boom is attached to the rigger. 36-48"long I've had a couple of those.

I've never had a 2 belt model belt break, ever. I've witnessed about 4 single ones break, and I fish mainly on the doubles. They're not quite as fast, but they'll still usually beat you to the surface with a 10-12# ball. Switch out the plug, get it serviced, and you won't have reliability issues.

... I'm currently boatless so it may be a couple years before it sees any use.

If that's the case, then perhaps consider selling it and paying a bit of difference to get something newer? Just a suggestion. May only cost you $50 but I think the reward would be greater. I'm thinking you could find someone willing and get $250 for it, keep the swivel base, and find a newer replacement for $300. You have nothing but time, you may even be able to do better than that.

Scotty will replace the old 1" boom with a new 1-1/4" extendable version for about $100
I had my old style unit done.

I knew it was 'old' just didn't know how old! I haven't laid eyes on any of these ones :D
It's probably one of the first electrics. Scotty switched to single belts in 2001 if I'm not mistaken, and that is an OLD style switch, don't know the exact date, but 90's.

I have two of these. Other than replacing the switches to the newer style in the last couple of years (which is very easy and a new switch is only about $30), they've been very good to me. I keep a spare set of belts on board but have never had one fail. Have been very good, serviceable riggers for me.

I use 15lb balls with the 2 belt style, never had an issue. We bought it new when they removed the restriction for electric downriggers in the mid. 90's.

So if I were to keep this rigger I should replace the switch, change to the newer style plug, replace the line with braid, and pack a replacement set of belts? Is there any other self maintenance/service that I should perform on it?

I still have the old switch, I use the new style plug and braided line. Yes spare belts, but I've never needed them.
I use this setup for the braid

I have the old 2 belt style, no problems. I carry spare belts, but never had to replace one. Handles 15lb cannon balls no problem. Plenty fast enough for me.

I have a pair of those old faithfuls. Bought a couple spare sets of belts 25 years ago with the rigger and have never replaced one. I had them only for backup for quite a few years. I sold the newer ones because they were far less reliable than my vintage Scotty's. No problems with my oldies since I went back to using them full time.

I only changed the switches when they eventually gave up the ghost after many years of use. The old ones worked for many years with no problems and, honestly, almost no maintenance. I run 15lbers with no trouble. Not fast, but then neither am I!

Back