Scotty 1106 Rigger Questions

BigBadBrad

Hey gents,

Anyone use 18b cannon balls on this model? I have only ever used 15s but wanted some 18s for fishing deep and stacking rods. Not sure how hard on the motor it would be or if its a big NO NO.

Thank

Hey gents,

Anyone use 18b cannon balls on this model? I have only ever used 15s but wanted some 18s for fishing deep and stacking rods. Not sure how hard on the motor it would be or if its a big NO NO.

Thank
Hi give the factory a call they will be glad to advise you .

From Scotty brochure......
  • Fully adjustable decent speed, lifts 7 lb. weights at 235 ft./min. and 15 lb. weights at 203 ft./min.

From Scotty brochure......
  • Fully adjustable decent speed, lifts 7 lb. weights at 235 ft./min. and 15 lb. weights at 203 ft./min.
I have used the 1106's for 20 years with no problem. Just remember the heavier the weight the better condition the wiring needs to be before it gets to the rigger. What do I mean by that-well if you are doing 10Lb weights shallow you can get away with fairly long runs and good 14 gauge wire. Same rigger using 15lb weights and the same wiring setup might start popping the internal breaker or your external fuse. If this happens go to a larger gauge wire and perhaps shorten the wiring run. I am sure that an 1106 will do 20Lbs but you should have as short a run from power source and IMO good 10 gauge wire

keep an eye on the wear of the wheel at the end of the boom as it may want to cut a groove in it quicker with extra weight... maybe upgrade to the larger wheel if it has the smaller one on it...
Have used them for years also with little problem.

I run 18s on 1106 and they do it but it's hard on them. So far I've cracked a spool and replaced 2 brake lever springs.

Scotty tests their 1106's with 20lb cannon balls when you take them in for service etc, so they should be able to handle them I was told but I think they recommend 15lbs. That being said we run 15s and have cracked several drums... I would say 18s are fine!

I run 20's with my 1106's, no issues to report after a season of 20's and 5-7 years of 15's before. Just don't let a newb drop them because they pickup speed quick, may need to adjust your brake slightly tighter.

Not going to tell you its ok but..........FWIW I ran 20#ers with mine over many years when fishing deep ( maybe 20% of the time) and while they slowed considerably they did the job.

I agree with spring fever you must make sure the wiring is adequate for the increased load.

Back