Scotty 1106 no power

slaydown

Hey all,
Was just getting the boat ready for its first trip this season and one of my downriggers has no power. I checked the fuse and even plugged it into the other working side and nothing. I know these are covered under warranty but I have no idea how long that might take. I took the back off and looked at all connections which look good. I did not have issues before storing and always rinse it thoroughly. Just curious if anyone has had a similar issue. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Does it hum or click? Can you undo the fasteners on the underside lay it down and plug it in to the good side, and start chasing for power with a multimeter?
Could be a broken wire on the switch or somewhere.
I'd be surprised if the motor is bad.
Call Scott Plastics. They are awesome and may walk you through it.

Does it hum or click? Can you undo the fasteners on the underside lay it down and plug it in to the good side, and start chasing for power with a multimeter?
Could be a broken wire on the switch or somewhere.
I'd be surprised if the motor is bad.
Call Scott Plastics. They are awesome and may walk you through it.
No power whatsoever, I looked up the closest authorized dealer which is Barry's bait. Hopefully they can sort it out before I leave Friday. Thanks for the reply

No power whatsoever, I looked up the closest authorized dealer which is Barry's bait. Hopefully they can sort it out before I leave Friday. Thanks for the reply
Berry bait send them to scotty for any service, atleast thats what they use to do, thats why i service mine myself

The motor's don't often die completely, they slow down.
I would suspect the power cord has an internal break in it.
Scotty will repair free, but you have to get it there and back.

Try Highwater Tackle in North Vancouver on Lonsdale, I know they used to service Scotty

Mike

Just spoke to berrys and they have a guy on staff who does all the repairs. Will definitely not be ready for my weekend trip so will make due with one rigger.

The male plug may be defective which would keep it from working on the other side. That is easy to check and I have found a wire detached or broken off in them from movement over time. Check the power cord for signs of damage. I have seen them shorted/damaged from been caught under the mount during a careless mounting and cut/crushed. I usually keep a spare male and female plug on the boat. Once you have confirmed you have power to the unit, move on to check/bypass/test the switch if the rigger is still not working.

When you consider all the cost associated with sport fishing and boat ownership and the increasingly limited opportunities to fish, I have found it is worth the cost of having a spare backup rigger on the boat or two, (one power, one manual). They do mess up at times and it is way easier to swap it out and not miss the bite or ruin an away trip.

Last edited:
plug the rigger that doesn't work into the plug of the rigger that does work and see what happens, you can rule out bad ground or fuse holder, would prove the problem is internal or not to the rigger if your not sure of that already

We are close to the factory free Service Center so I have taken riggers to them many times, especially if it will need new pricey parts. Some things are simple to fix, and hardly worth the time or gas to take them in. The repair and maintenance skills you will pick up in the process may serve you well if you need to do some basic repairs while at sea or away on a trip and not lose small parts etc. Knowing how to disassemble and reassemble the rigger is very useful. I usually have on board at a minimum, spare counter, both plug components, drive belt, 30 amp fuses, spare swivel base and a spare long pivot mounting bolt (they can fall overboard when installing and removing the rigger).

Last edited:
The male plug may be defective which would keep it from working on the other side. That is easy to check and I have found a wire detached or broken off in them from movement over time. Check the power cord for signs of damage. I have seen them shorted/damaged from been caught under the mount during a careless mounting and cut/crushed. I usually keep a spare male and female plug on the boat. Once you have confirmed you have power to the unit, move on to check/bypass/test the switch if the rigger is still not working.

When you consider all the cost associated with sport fishing and boat ownership and the increasingly limited opportunities to fish, I have found it is worth the cost of having a spare backup rigger on the boat or two, (one power, one manual). They do mess up at times and it is way easier to swap it out and not miss the bite or ruin an away trip.
Agreed. Open up the male plug. My riggers were only a few years old and I was in Port Renfrew when the starboard one lost all power.
I opened up the male plug and it was entirely corroded. Cheap fix. I coated the male and female plugs with an electrical silicon. Salt water/air is hard on rigging.

Thanks again for the replies, I took apart everything I possibly could with exception of popping the motor cover,looking for anything obvious and all seemed well. Bit the bullet and took it to Barry's and guy there said most likely is the small wire connection from on/off switch to motor being damaged inside. Should have it back soon after they replace it. On the plus side I have a pretty good understanding of how it works now Haha.

Thanks again for the replies, I took apart everything I possibly could with exception of popping the motor cover,looking for anything obvious and all seemed well. Bit the bullet and took it to Barry's and guy there said most likely is the small wire connection from on/off switch to motor being damaged inside. Should have it back soon after they replace it. On the plus side I have a pretty good understanding of how it works now Haha.
That's what it is, I had the same problem a couple years ago. Micky moused it on the water and fixed it properly over the winter.

What a person really should have is a spare auto-stop, relay and shortstop circuit breaker. Those are the three most common things to fail. The switch is around $50, the relay and circuit breaker are quite cheap if you buy them from a Scotty repair depot. If your auto stop fails, put in your spare, then take the faulty part in and get a replacement at the repair depot. Same with the rest.

Back