Scotty 1106 issue?

chris73

I have recently upgraded to the 60" boom and noticed today that when using the port rigger not extended the cable is rubbing against the boom - actually against the plastic fitting that arrests the telescope section. Anyone found a cure for this? I imagine that people using braid would be especially concerned having the braid rubbing against something?

Have you tried rotating the plastic piece? I'm not to concerned with braid rubbing against polished stainless steel.

Can't really flip over as the rigger drum is on one side of the boom. Flipping over would mean the cable would actually cross over the boom and that would be worse. Here is a picture of the situation. You can see how the cable touches the plastic piece.

A.jpg

Your trollin' too fast. Sorry, just me being a smart butt...
Not sure what can be done in that situation. I prob never noticed it before. You have lots of line on the spool and the little mechanism that slides back and forth for the shutoff is moving freely and not bound up in one position?

Cant spin the whole end pulley around so the cable is coming off the stern side of the down rigger?

here is a picture from a web site. is the line guide closer to the knob than yours? Maybe you can move the line guide forward?

Attachments

• 34291XL__16669.1407469848.1280.1280.jpg
    34291XL__16669.1407469848.1280.1280.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 57
Cant spin the whole end pulley around so the cable is coming off the stern side of the down rigger?

I thought I had done that in the past after taking the riggers out of stowage, but now looking at the pic, not sure if it's possible...

I guess the silly question is, with that boom size, why isn't it extended?

If you extend the boom out even 12" I'd bet the issue is resolved. If there is a reason it is pulled in, I'd suggest extending the boom out just enough until the problem resolves. The more you extend it out, the less and less that crossover angle will be.

Can you not turn the fairlead so it faces downward - which may give you enough clearance on the port downrigger.

The fairlead on my riggers are part of the boom extension knob. Sorry for the poor quality of the picture, but riggers are stored in a box.

Attachments

• photo1.JPG
    photo1.JPG
    356.6 KB · Views: 57
Can you not turn the fairlead so it faces downward - which may give you enough clearance on the port downrigger.

His is a separate piece though adjustable yes. The line guide on his 1106 is more to prevent the line bouncing around, less to guide the line as there would always be tension on the line from the guide itself. Ideally, the line guide is there just in case, not to have line rubbing against it constantly. It's factory placement is located to be best suited when the boom is extended at maximum length. The line should be totally straight from the spool on the rigger to the wheel on the end of the boom. In chris73's picture, with the boom drawn in, it creates basically an angle (say, a 10 degree angle) in the line which results in a fulcrum on either the line guide or as shown in the first picture, on the plastic of the boom locking mechanism. Essentially, having to bend the deep line around a corner.

As the boom is extended out, the fulcrum point will become less and less as the angle between the rigger spool and the wheel becomes less and less (maximum is 180 degrees = straight line).

I would have to extend the boom almost fully to get rid of any contact. While that is an option, I prefer to fish the short boom when only fishing 2 lines, which is for instance now when fishing deep for winter springs. I see lots of people fishing with 1106 retracted, even in TV shows. Has no one noticed this before? And if not, maybe its not a big deal if there is contact between line and rigger? I just wonder how braid can put up with that in the long run. Braid doesn't like rubbing under tension. It just seems like a flawed design and as such untypical for Scotty. I may give them a call and see what they say. Thanks for your idea guys!

Looks like the cable guide needs to be lowered.
Simple adjustment with a Philips #2 screwdriver.

Over 15 years on same set up you have. It bugged the carp out of me. I adjusted everything that I could and there was always some rub.
The resulting wear was so minimal it ended up not worth worrying about.

Back