Scientists find something new in Canadian Waters.

OldBlackDog

Scientists going deep again to explore undersea mysteries
Lindsay Kines
a1-0717-tully2-jpg.jpg

Crews board the John P. Tully at the Institute of Ocean Sciences at Patricia Bay.
Photograph By DARREN STONE, Times Colonist
Cherisse Du Preez and her fellow scientists had never seen anything like it.

The underwater volcano about 250 kilometres off Vancouver Island was the biggest ever found in Canadian waters.

Rising 2.5 kilometres from the ocean floor, it matched Mount Baker in height and covered an area similar in size to Greater Vancouver.

Equally stunning were the strange creatures populating the seamount’s unusual ecosystem — sponges and corals, sea cucumbers and sea stars.

In some ways, they resembled life forms you’d find in waters off Dallas Road or at Botanical Beach, except that these looked more like unusual cousins.

“It was an anomaly straight from the beginning,” said Du Preez, a marine biologist with Canada’s Department of Fisheries and Oceans and part of the team that discovered the Explorer Seamount last summer.

“There were animals that we didn’t predict were going to be there. The environment was different.

“We found an ancient underwater city of sponges that we nicknamed Spongetopia. The thing is that scientists didn’t expect it was going to be there, so we were confused.”

Their gut instincts were correct, however; they were seeing something for the first time. DNA testing of samples taken last year confirmed the discovery of species previously unknown to scientists.

Now, researchers are heading back to the Explorer Seamount for a more thorough investigation of the volcano and the mysterious creatures that live there.

A team of scientists from Fisheries and Oceans Canada and their partners, the Nuu-chah-nulth Nations and Ocean Networks Canada, embarked Tuesday on a two-week expedition aboard the Canadian Coast Guard vessel John P. Tully.

The researchers plan to gather further samples and use a robot with high-resolution cameras, floodlights and sensors that can dive two kilometres to the ocean floor and send back real-time pictures of life on the underwater island.

One of the goals is to determine the size of Spongetopia, which is so big that scientists were unable to travel its length on their last visit in 2018.

Images will be livestreamed on Fisheries and Oceans’ website so people can watch along at home.

“When we go down into the deep sea with cameras, when we turn on the lights, we’re seeing animals that scientists have never seen before,” Du Preez told reporters at the Institute of Ocean Sciences in Sidney prior to departure. “We’re seeing things that the general public doesn’t know exist in their water.

“These animals, even though they’re removed from our lives, they’re already being impacted by us, so we need to start the protection process. So to inform the public, we share everything that we know, as soon as we know it, so that we can all kind of go on this mission together.”

The Explorer Seamount sits at the centre of an ocean region that Canada declared an Offshore Pacific Area of Interest in 2017 — the first step toward creating a Marine Protected Area under Canada’s Oceans Act.

Tammy Norgard, chief scientist on the seamounts expedition, said it’s important to understand what’s in the area so it can be protected. “The significance is that we’re getting out there and actually collecting research in Canadian waters with Canadian scientists, which is a pretty exciting thing,” she said.

Kim Juniper, chief scientist at the University of Victoria’s Ocean Networks Canada, issued a statement stressing the importance of exploring the seamounts.

“Gathering data through expeditions like this advances the world’s understanding of ocean biodiversity hotspots at a critical time when governments, Indigenous peoples and conservation groups are working to formally protect vulnerable marine ecosystems.”

Since when did First Nations travel 250 Kilometers off of Vancouver Island? To include Nuu-chah-nulth Nations in the capacity of partners when it would be very unlikely to see this Volcano as traditional territory tells me that the Liberal Government has somehow changed the dynamics of the relationship without telling the rest of us about it. Interesting discovery never the less.

My how times have changed, remember not so long ago dropping volleys of 500lb HE mortars in that area, every one was interested in seeing what floated up. Scoop, cook and eat. Now we have saved.

HM

What has your reply got to do with the subject matter?
It is a discussion. Don’t like it then ignore it or get involved in the discussion.

As noted in the discussion, man is just learning about this subject and the effects it is having on earth.

The earth is covered by oceans! 73 % I believe and we still know little about it.

Maybe we can learn something ?

https://www.sott.net/article/373881...-the-largest-in-over-a-century-say-scientistsI

Why is it that all you left leaning people can only say Denier or Racist or anything to run down a person that you appear to dislike or hate for no real reason?

Very little "science" involved in that piece and several pretty solid debunking of some claims too.

You do know J Curry is a paid denier, right??

You really should read these things rather than just going by phoney headlines and the like.

Really.

Take care.

Last edited:
JC reflections

Our understanding of the link between sea floor geothermal heat flux and climate seems to be in its infancy

There seems to be a sufficient number of publications and observational evidence that lend credence to a link; the issue is the magnitude of the effect. Dismissing such an effect as unimportant given our current state of understanding is misguided.

Since this is a topic that I haven’t spent a lot of time investigating, I look forward to insights and references from the comments.

What has your reply got to do with the subject matter?
It is a discussion. Don’t like it then ignore it or get involved in the discussion.

As noted in the discussion, man is just learning about this subject and the effects it is having on earth.

The earth is covered by oceans! 73 % I believe and we still know little about it.

Maybe we can learn something ?

https://www.sott.net/article/373881...-the-largest-in-over-a-century-say-scientistsI

Why is it that all you left leaning people can only say Denier or Racist or anything to run down a person that you appear to dislike or hate for no real reason?

My reply vis a vis the "subject matter" is completely relevant given who you are using as a source for info (Judith Curry) plus the fact that I actually read through your link and noted several things that you want to make important as being completely debunked.

Read through the comments yourself and pay attention to what they say.

Read what Willis Eschenbach says in his comments particularly, but don't ignore the other comments, as they offer some insight into the subject too.

And why do you call science believers "left leaning" and then whine about being run down by people who dislike or hate a person for no real reason?

I don't hate anyone, but I despise professional liars, as most noted deniers turn out to be. You just seem to be a contrarian and somewhat ignorant on the subject.

I feel sorry for those too ideologically blinded to be able to accept the science plus the visible evidence found around the globe, and I'll also remind you that not understanding the science is not a very good argument against it.

Sad.

Take care.

Well, as the link to Judith Curry said, it is a discussion.

She stated she knew little on the subject and was asking for opinions and discussion.

So far there lots of opinions but as noted Man is just starting to learn about this.

There are no winners or losers in this discussion.

https://www.theguardian.com/science/occams-corner/2013/sep/19/science-religion-not-be-questioned

My reply vis a vis the "subject matter" is completely relevant given who you are using as a source for info (Judith Curry) plus the fact that I actually read through your link and noted several things that you want to make important as being completely debunked.

Read through the comments yourself and pay attention to what they say.

Read what Willis Eschenbach says in his comments particularly, but don't ignore the other comments, as they offer some insight into the subject too.

And why do you call science believers "left leaning" and then whine about being run down by people who dislike or hate a person for no real reason?

I don't hate anyone, but I despise professional liars, as most noted deniers turn out to be. You just seem to be a contrarian and somewhat ignorant on the subject.

I feel sorry for those too ideologically blinded to be able to accept the science plus the visible evidence found around the globe, and I'll also remind you that not understanding the science is not a very good argument against it.

Sad.

Take care.

actually, OBD - science is questioned all the time. That's what peer-review is supposed to be about.

The article was about the journalists instead - not the science on global warming.

If anything - the article is critical of the mis-reporting of the science - which certainly includes the purposeful misreporting of the climate science by the paid PR firms employed by the Koch brothers and the coal industry:
https://north99.org/2019/07/09/4-ways-far-right-foreign-radicals-are-influencing-canadian-politics/

inigo_montoya.jpg

And yet, the peer review process has been shown to be extremely questionable. Money talks!

Yet we can easily find the mis reporting of science everywhere.

Pick your side and then we can easily have a big fight using the web to prove each other wrong.

Pretty sad.

Yet Man really knows very little about what is really going on.

Computer programs are pretty sad at projecting the future.

Finally beginning to actually see what is happening in the oceans is huge.

Knowing we know little to nothing about it and finally someone is giving us information.

Long term this is going to be great.

Just like we are finally going to find out what us going on in the ocean with our salmon.

And finally the Press has its own agenda, they are all about leading us where they feel we need to be.
And the sad part is a lot of people believe them.
Just think, killer Whales.
Again sad.

actually, OBD - science is questioned all the time. That's what peer-review is supposed to be about.

The article was about the journalists instead - not the science on global warming.

If anything - the article is critical of the mis-reporting of the science - which certainly includes the purposeful misreporting of the climate science by the paid PR firms employed by the Koch brothers and the coal industry:
https://north99.org/2019/07/09/4-ways-far-right-foreign-radicals-are-influencing-canadian-politics/

View attachment 46492

I don't think any process is perfect and w/o valid criticism. But...

Keep in mind the peer-review process and science is also the same science and science processes that gave us our TVs, computers and internet that we are communicating on - and pretty much everything we depend on.

I also find it sad - sad that you apparently seem to believe that we have to "pick a side" - and there apparently is only 2 sides (equally presented by the PR firms but not by the science). That's a problem with accountability from our news sources - not the climate science.

I'll tell you what side I am on:

0015.jpg

I think it is the responsible one.

Old Black Dog, your signature concludes that Global Warming is a religious belief and has nothing to with science..... How can the science be debated if you have already so succinctly concluded?

But the peer review process has changed due to money.
Then one must ask what is real or in fact false news.

So, picking a side is wrong for me, yet fine for you?

You are allowed your opinion, that does not mean I have to agree with it.

You are against anything that kills people or destroys the planet.
Sounds good to me.

I don't think any process is perfect and w/o valid criticism. But...

Keep in mind the peer-review process and science is also the same science and science processes that gave us our TVs, computers and internet that we are communicating on - and pretty much everything we depend on.

I also find it sad - sad that you apparently seem to believe that we have to "pick a side" - and there apparently is only 2 sides (equally presented by the PR firms but not by the science). That's a problem with accountability from our news sources - not the climate science.

I'll tell you what side I am on:

0015.jpg

I think it is the responsible one.

The quote is MAN MADE Global warming is a religious belief.
Global warming and cooling has been happening since the earth started.

Man made global warming due to co2 is extremely questionable.

Old Black Dog, your signature concludes that Global Warming is a religious belief and has nothing to with science..... How can the science be debated if you have already so succinctly concluded?

Back