Sayward boat launch and parking...

Should be decent....We launched there a month or so ago and the ramp was good. Usually some logger pick-ups etc parked there for extended periods without too much difficulty.....Have a good trip...

I've parked there numerous times for a week at a time and haven't had any issues. Ramp can be slippery at low tide especially if it hasn't seen much use recently. I haven't been there for a few months. If the log sort is active you'll have to snake your way through the log booms but they are good about keeping a path free. If they are building a boom in the bay, when boating from the ramp do NOT take an immediate right off the boat ramp and try to sneak between a log boom and the breakwater/ship (if one is currently tied up there) or you might get your boat pinched if the gap closes up. Instead, when leaving the ramp you'll probably have to go further into the bay and around the log boom, then out to the strait.

I'm sure you know to be wary of current against wind in that area particularly. There aren't many places to duck for cover north of Sayward. Enjoy!

Thanks for the info.

I have been warned to be wary, especially with wind against a strong current through there. This will certainly all be weather dependent. It looks like the current side is in our favour if all goes well on the road and the wind isn't crap. Current changes from an ebb to flood at 11. I would plan that we are leaving Victoria at 5am. Google says 3h49m to Sayward (vs. 5h32m to Alder Bay, or more to telegraph) so I will say 5 hours with boat/extra and 1 hour for launch. That puts us on the water at 11/slack. If we are behind by an hour or two, at least the potential afternoon inflow wind will be with current even if we are against. If we leave at 430 we should be good. Nothing wrong with leaving early.

Thanks for the info.

I have been warned to be wary, especially with wind against a strong current through there. This will certainly all be weather dependent. It looks like the current side is in our favour if all goes well on the road and the wind isn't crap. Current changes from an ebb to flood at 11. I would plan that we are leaving Victoria at 5am. Google says 3h49m to Sayward (vs. 5h32m to Alder Bay, or more to telegraph) so I will say 5 hours with boat/extra and 1 hour for launch. That puts us on the water at 11/slack. If we are behind by an hour or two, at least the potential afternoon inflow wind will be with current even if we are against. If we leave at 430 we should be good. Nothing wrong with leaving early.

Yes Johnny Strait can be sporty as you’re already aware; , i estimate it’s gonna take you approx 2 1/2 hours to get from Kelsey Bay to the bottom end of Hanson Island give or take depending on boat speed, weather etc. if you tuck in behind Hanson Island up Blackney passage you will be out of most of the nonsense at that point. There are a million spots in the broughton to explore and fish. There’s a cove or a bay that i’ve seen by plane a hundred times that looks like you can only access on certain tides. I have no idea what it’s called. but it looks amazing. anyone help me out? Billy’s museum at Echo Bay is a must see! The whale museum at Telegraph Cove is great for the kids as well.

When you park your rig on the spit be sure not to block the gates at the south end spit by the launch site. It is used by barges loading and unloading heavy equipment. The launch ramp is maintained by the Sayward Fish and Game and although there is no charge to launch there is a donation box.

I've been considering a similar trip Andrew, I'll be interested to hear a report on your return. Are you staying in accommodation, on your boat, or boat camping?

Agree, be very cautious north and south of Sayward on same side if you do hit the tide and wind wrong it shallows there and stacks up and can get very nautical! If you check your charts you will see where it shallows.
My experience began when I came out of Chancellor Channel and into the straight, was very unnerving as we snuck into Sayward marina for a period until it settled down.

Be safe, enjoy your trip.

Lived in Comox and fished Sayward regularly, also slept many a night on anchor mainland side unable or too **** scared to cross the straight. I have seen the rollers role OVER the lighthouse on corner of Hardwick. We also found a body on the beach there, a commercial fisherman who fell overboard 3 days before, last summer? a boat sank in minutes right of the harbor mouth, that section of water is water to be very care full in. Ocean goes from flat to 15+ footers on a 1hr tide/current change. Be wary.

HM

Lived in Comox and fished Sayward regularly, also slept many a night on anchor mainland side unable or too **** scared to cross the straight. I have seen the rollers role OVER the lighthouse on corner of Hardwick. We also found a body on the beach there, a commercial fisherman who fell overboard 3 days before, last summer? a boat sank in minutes right of the harbor mouth, that section of water is water to be very care full in. Ocean goes from flat to 15+ footers on a 1hr tide/current change. Be wary.

HM

Very last trip with my dad before he passed, we both almost bought the farm by Helmcken Island trying to buck the tide back to Kelsey Bay. Massive green waves over the hardtop. Was pretty concerned but i freaked when the old man turned and looked at me and said “ what do we do?!?!” I thought he had it in the bag till then!

I've been considering a similar trip Andrew, I'll be interested to hear a report on your return. Are you staying in accommodation, on your boat, or boat camping?

We did the Broughtons last year in our boat meeting up with my folks on their sailboat. Stayed at Echo Bay for a few nights and then just on anchor. Tons of great places to see in the area. My wife and I sleep on our boat and the kids jump in the grandparent sailboat.

As for the strait in general...you all have me more nervous now...is it better to drive the extra 2 hours up to Alder Bay (which is where we launched last year)? I’ll be making the call when the forecast is closer...

Good to be nervous there. My buddies call it the gauntlet, even when in a mainland inlet glass flat there is always talk on the boat about getting home across the gauntlet. Lots of people go there, just pay attention to currents and winds. When they go against each other or even a flood with a strong westerly the standing waves build instantly and are dangerous.

HM

Why not go all the way up to telegraph cove way easier and less gas on boat and nice sheltered boat launch

I got stuck once on the mainland side. Launched at Kelsey, spent a couple hours prawning up an inlet only to have a big westerly blow up. Ended up sleeping under a tarp & spooning fire heated rocks all night. Dinner was fresh prawns, rockfish & smoked oysters so it wasn't too bad but a good reminder to prepare for the worst case scenario. Have also watched a truck/trailer slide down the ramp and underwater. Definitely a place not giving me the warm & fuzzy feeling anymore.

If are you are flexible enough to decide your launch point at the last minute I'd wait to see what the forecast says the day before you leave. If the winds are predicted to be reasonable then treat yourself to the extra boat ride along our coast. At the very least the 4 knot flood will lay down NW waves if wind comes up later in the day once you are out there. You only have 15 nm to tuck into Havannah channel and take the back route the rest of the way. If things turn unpredictably ugly really quickly after you leave you have the option of Port Neville in 7nm as a safe haven, if you are running up along the mainland side of the straight. But, you also need to be prepared to leave a day early or a day later so you have a window for your return (don't put yourself in a position to have to take chances).

Really just to see some new water.
From sayward up really isnt awesome gets a bit more exciting when yo go thru the channels and inlets etc and ill be honest can get really snotty and foggy there is some short cuts on the south east side of Craycroft and around to minstral island etc. miss my ol stomping grounds give me a call and ill send ya some of my ol halibut spots

Last edited:
From sayward up really isnt awesome gets a bit more exiting when yo go thru the channels and inlets etc and ill be honest can get really snotty and foggy there is some short cuts on the south east side of Craycroft and around to minstral island etc. miss my ol stomping grounds give me a call and ill send ya some of my ol halibut spots
x2
very average stretch of water in terms of views

Back