Saying Goodbye...

IronNoggin

7a3YHRX.jpg

Eleven years ago, this little bundle of fluff & energy bounded into our lives.
Little did we know just how much he would fall into his own as a Leader.

tUjA3ZB.jpg

And little did we know just how short of a time he would stay "little"!!

Amaruq (aka Boogs short for The Boogeyman) was a mix of 1/2 Timber Wolf (Pa from the Yukon North Slope) and 1/2 Alaskan Husky (Ma from Inuvik). He was destined to become an extremely intelligent, faithful and extremely powerful Hybid of 145 pounds at maturity.

Boogs became my constant companion right from the start. Whether hunting, fishing, hitting the lakes, or simply kicking back he was always at my side. He absolutely loved fishing the rivers, and man would he ever let you know should you miss a single strike!!

7ZkLkta.jpg

He was a completely fearless bugger that one. Attacked and beat the hell out of a decent handful of bears, some absolute giants that he had no business engaging with. But he never ever got so much as a nick. Recovered many a deer for my buddies when they had been lost. And simply loved the outdoor lifestyle as much as anyone I have ever met.

Boogsie was a very good father. His lady Asuilu who passed along last year, was a darling to him, and the love he held for her certainly showed through!

o25f10i.jpg

Between the two of them they produced nothing short of twenty-two wee one in but two litters! And the Boogs loved and cared for those kiddies better than any other male we have ever known!

Ty24C4S.jpg

Ze8CoEh.jpg

Although some have already wandered, many are still enjoying the life he gave them, and a handful have given him grandkiddies already.

One of those pups eventually came back to live with us. And so for a spell, we had three of these Buddies living with us. Bit of a madhouse at times...

GvrxRit.jpg

Amaruq was likely the best Companion I have ever had. He was with me through thick and thin, and returned the love I gave him without question. So, when it became evident that he was starting to have health issues some time ago, of course I pulled out all the stops to deal with that. And like the Trooper he was, he came back. For over three years...

Sadly, that was not destined to last forever. Never can be.

Thus, it is with most profound sadness that I write today of his wandering.The arthritis in his back end came back with a vengeance, and his front knees simply collapsed trying to pick up the slack.
Yesterday afternoon our Big Boy left this world while wrapped in our loving arms.
Saying Goodbye was one of the hardest things we have ever done, and the sense off loss runs very very deep.

So today, I pay to this Prince my final tribute.
You were a very special Lad, one who was deeply loved, and who loved deeply in return.
You will never be forgotten my Boy, and always remembered with the fondest of hearts.
Your Legacy is well represented in the many pups you brought into this world, and fathered so well.
They and their children will ensure your light, and your line, never fades.
For now you rest easy my Prince. The pain is far behind you now.
And rest assured, when our time has come, we will be looking for you on the other side...

ctzkQtx.jpg

Amaruq collected his wings the afternoon of July 11, 2019.
He was three months shy of eleven years old.
He carried my heart with him when he flew...

RIP Amaruq my Boy...

Sadly,
Nog

Tough stuff Nog, you have given him a well deserved and a darn good tribute and send off. Well done my friend.

At a loss for words during these moments. One of the hardest things to overcome and reason I have no pets, true what you state, they get closer than family to a guy. Again sorry Matt.

HM

Sorry to hear Matt...sounds like he lived every minute of his life to the fullest with you getting to enjoy the ride. Your story really hits home at this time as we had to say goodbye to our beautiful Golden, Molly, a few days ago as well. She was just a few months shy of her 12th birthday...feel for you.

Brian

Last edited:
Lost a wonderful Airedale 25 years ago. She loved me more than my wife ever loved me. I still miss her. I feel for you Matt

Great pictures Matt of an amazing partnership. The circle of life is hard with humans and dogs having such differences in life spans. I feel for you. That was one lucky dog to have had the life you were able to give him, the perfect life really, given his lineage.

Holy ****, what a heart wrenching share. I am not a dog person but I have a lump in my throat from reading your tribute. I bet he knew the sound of the clicker on the Steelheader reel better than anyone.

Last summer when I went to visit you with my daughter, she was quite enamoured with your buddy, Boogs. He was seemingly a gentle fellow, after the initial bark fest when I knocked on your door that is. The sound that came from behind that door was eye widening for both me and my daughter. LOL. He was one BIG bruiser and pleasant after we both stood still during the initial smell check from your pack hoping for acceptance. ;-)

Condolences to you, Matt. Boogs was a cool dog.

Sorry to hear Matt...sounds like he lived every minute of his life to the fullest with you getting to enjoy the ride. Your story really hits home at this time as we had to say goodbye to our beautiful Golden, Molly, a few days ago as well. She was just a few months shy of her 12th birthday...feel for you.

Brian
I’m very sorry for you also.

I think somehow dogs know time is short here on Earth. So they love as much as they can while they are with us. I think we have them so we can become grounded in what is really important in life. Little furry farting entertaining angels. Truly sorry for your loss, Matt. Thank you for sharing - and reminding us what is important in life.

Matt, my heart goes out to you, a real beauty of a dog, shedding a tear myself as i type this. He couldn't of had a better dad.

Piper

Sorry for your loss. The loss of a great friend is always hard, the loss of a great canine friend even more so.

Oly

Back