San Mateo Float removal

KP Time

Crew Member
SAN MATEO CONVENIENCE FLOAT

The Port Alberni Port Authority (PAPA) advises the public and mariners that the convenience float located in San Mateo Bay will be removed, at the request of the Province of British Columbia, effective March 8, 2019. The Province has resumed jurisdiction over this area from PAPA.

Questions may be directed to Port Alberni Port Authority’s Director of Public Relations and Business Development Dave McCormick at dmccormick@alberniport.ca or 250-723-5312 ext. 227

Sad news, a lot of people used the float. This service will be greatly missed.

Received this email from Port authority re concerns of float removal.

Thank you for your email expressing concern about the removal of the float

at San Mateo.

The Port Authority understands your concern and has expressed it with the Province of BC during the process of changing jurisdiction over certain waters that include San Mateo Bay. However, the Province requires the Port to remove this float, as posted in the Notice.

You may express your concern directly to our contact, Annette Bailey, at the Province of BC's department of Forests, Lands, Natural Resource Operations and Rural Development. Her email address is: Annette.Bailey@gov.bc.ca

Sincerely,

Dave

David A. McCormick, MBA

Director, Public Relations & Business Development Port Alberni Port Authority

I wonder what would happen if another float turned up there? Who will be monitoring this? Certainly not the provincial govt.
Quite a shame that float will be gone though, it saw a lot of use.
Bonehead move to remove that in my opinion.
PF.

Awakening this old thread... Is the float back? I was out there last weekend and looked like there was one there. Was entertaining a bunch of friends trolling so I didn't bother to go look.

Great! Everytime I look it up I see a bunch of people complaining about it getting removed. I guess enough people wrote letters and the province never took it out? Anyone know the back story? I'll definately be tying up to it to chill out for a bit on the longer days.

a user group or assigned individuals need to make an application for specific permission of use.
basically a file at the department that gives a full description of size, location and materials used etc. it will also incluse a usage agreement that will limit time tied up, no fuel storages, etc. the crown then signs off on it. there is a cost associated with this.
with no upland holder it may be a bit different. maybe the port alberni yacht club could get on this?

Back