Salty Sockeye

algae

Hi All..Fellow I work with is complaining about the saltiness of Thriftys sockeye. Just wondering if they brine it or treat it with something..Thanks

They add salt to all processed food as part of the preparation.
I think you'll find that all store bought brands contain sodium.
The only real way to avoid it is to can or bottle your own.

most canned fish has a 'low sodium' version i think thriftys does as well. Salt is a preservative. I think sobeys who know owns thriftys is fazing out all thriftys brand stuff anyway and replacing it with there crap sensations and compliments brand.

lol I was wondering mabey in the water they mist it with? or tell your friend to get his taste buds checked lol

I agree, I bought one to BBQ last week and it too was too salty. Thrifty's had fresh sockeye on sale last week so I bought one. Kind of disappointing.

Hmmm.....maybe it's a modified form of "brining" to keep the sockeye looking chromy-fresh for a lot longer than normal.

Such treatchery abounds everywhere you go these days.....

I checked out the sockeye at Thriftys on the first day of the sale. It was a lake caught Sockeye and it looked like crap. I wouldn't give it to my Jaguarundi.;) eman

I checked out the sockeye at Thriftys on the first day of the sale. It was a lake caught Sockeye and it looked like crap. I wouldn't give it to my Jaguarundi.;) eman

I wonder what Lakes have commercial or FN Economic opportunity fisheries, I know Babine and Osoyoos do, but what others?

Back