Saltwater Spinning Reels

Is there anyone out there who uses a saltwater spinning reel for bottom fish, salmon or albacore tuna fishing? Looking at getting one, or two, for tuna trips but not sure what to look for as there’s a ton of choices.
As suggested above the Alan Hawke site is incredible for spinning reels. Every few years he lists his choice of reels in several categories. You don't need a super high-end reel for what you are targeting. I'd pick a brand that you can either service yourself, or that Mikes Reel Repair on the mainland works on. The quality of the line roller on the bail is probably most important.

Port Alberni inlet many years ago for the labour day derby we seen the same flasher being towed comming in and out of the log booms.we had a spinning rod ready and cast to the flasher .and caught the flasher by the swivel .game on .landed 37.5 lbs chinook.derby winner was a 34 lbs.our fish did not qualify as it was on a spinning rod with a wieghted hook.when fighting a fish on a spinning reel the tension is set and if the opperator keeps reeling and is getting no line on the spool the line twists and causes frustration of fishing with twisted line.

Hey Falcon. My first post since moving to Victoria last summer.
I've used spinners for snapper and grouper in Florida, and tuna and yellowtail in Mexico. They've worked great for me but you have to keep in mind what they're good at and what's not so good.
The good is you can cast them a mile, some have incredibly fast retrieve rates, they have a ton of drag, and they won't punish you with a backlash from operator error. On the other hand, they don't have any torque, so you're not going to crank the fish into the boat. You have to use the rod to move the fish.
Also, the really good spinners will cost quite a bit but you can feel the difference. Smooth, vibration-free operation and silky smooth drags are the main differences. I've used mine hard so I invested in a nice Stella and a Daiwa Isla. I have conventional reels too, but each has its purpose. Just another excuse to expand the toy collection.

If you want some pretty in-depth reviews on spinners, check out Alan Hawk's site. It's one of the best:
http://www.alanhawk.com/

Hope this helps. Glad to share more as desired.
Alan Hawke LOVES the Daiwa Black Gold, it's only about $100-120 for a 5000-size reel.

Alan Hawke LOVES the Daiwa Black Gold, it's only about $100-120 for a 5000-size reel.

I bought a diawa BG 3000 last year for shore fishing and it's fantastic. Very sturdy and has lots of super smooth drag. Possibly the best bang for your buck in any spinning reel, I would definitely recommend it. I landed this spring on a 12lb leader no problem.

Attachments

• 20190728_092107-01.jpeg
    20190728_092107-01.jpeg
    424.7 KB · Views: 53
Wow! Beautiful fish, beautiful water!! And a beautiful pic. Where/when?? My personal best spring
was 35# on 12# leader, with rubber snubber on a mooched herring in Haida Gwai (Then known as the Queen Charlotte Isles), 1986. Tony Pletcher was at Langara Lodge that week, and taught me how to mooch with light 9 ft leaders.
Trying to load a pic, no dice...

Unconventional test of the stopping power of a saltwater spinning reel:

A keeper for sure!

Cheers!

Ukee
Millennials :rolleyes:
But seriously did you see how natural and easy it was for him to tighten down that drag?! o_O No thanks.

I could watch her all day.

Ya no thanks to spinning drag adjustment during a fight.
Lever drag doesn't have the same finesse as a good star drag cenventional at getting the sweet spot and being able to adjust it very easily during the fight without making a quick mistake that costs you a fish

Lever drag doesn't have the same finesse as a good star drag cenventional at getting the sweet spot and being able to adjust it very easily during the fight without making a quick mistake that costs you a fish
Now what the heck is a star drag?! Man I seriously know nothing.

I ended up purchasing a couple Daiwa BG 6500’s paired a couple Trevala rods to keep onboard for fun. I don’t except to catch anymore 100 lb twenty something girls so I’m not worried about the drag :p

Right on, I once lost a tyee due to my little Avet going into free-spool when I went to loosen the lever drag.
Got rid of the reel! Now using an Accurate 400 and a Canyon 260. Considering a Peetz for my
Moutcha Bay trip in August for some old-time excitement!

+1 for the Fathom II, love the easy-off sideplate with nothing that springs out. Makes it more likely that the reel
will get a proper cleaning after use. I have had to send reels in that I took apart to clean and could not get properly together again....

+1 for the Fathom II, love the easy-off sideplate with nothing that springs out. Makes it more likely that the reel
will get a proper cleaning after use. I have had to send reels in that I took apart to clean and could not get properly together again....
Yup they've done an awesome job on the II and listened to the their consumers requests. I can't wait to buy one and smash some tuna with it.

Back