Salmon Smolts don't want Kinder Morgan expansion...

Andrew P

I got some great footage of wild coho smolts this summer while camping on the westcoast. There were hundreds of them getting ready to head out to sea where the creek meets the tidal flats.

Oh, and they gave me a message about how they feel about increased pipelines in the Fraser watershed and increased tanker traffic on the coast.

Feel free to share if you agree!

how would you like your oil delivered to you Andrew?

Well, that's a complex question. It depends on what type of oil you are talking about. If we are talking transporting bitumen to the coast....my choice is not by diluting it so that if it spills it is completely impossible with today's technology to clean up. Transporting via rail without diluent (Neatbit) would be my choice since it is way safer, but of course that is far from what the pipeline companies would have you believe because then it doesn't go through a pipeline and they don't make money. This is a good article on the subject http://www.albertaoilmagazine.com/2016/08/shipping-neatbit-rail-answer-looking-arent-looking/

Again, I'm not sure what type of oil for my personal use that you are asking. We aren't talking about the fuel for my boat or truck because those obviously have nothing to do with what would go through that pipeline. I'm also not saying not to use oil...I just don't see the need to expand it and that is what I've stated. I've made a lot of personal choices to reduce the need for imported oil based products but of course there are many items that I do rely on that are made from oil. And really, if you want something to last forever, plastic is a great material...the problem comes when disposable crap is made from it. And if the oilsands are to be expanded (which is a highly questionable assumption since the market will drive that, and I think oil is done...but that's a bit off topic), again, I don't think this is the safest way as pointed out in the above article.

@trophywife What's your answer to that same question AFTER you read that article? I'm open to any opinion.

Last edited:
thanks for the information.. opening my eyes to a new transfer method of raw bit.. seems this neatbit should be given a better look. i am going to research more. ultimately refining more here in our own country would reduce the need for tankers on the coast. the crude still needs to move.. i guess i am still learning about the lesser of two evils.

thanks for the information.. opening my eyes to a new transfer method of raw bit.. seems this neatbit should be given a better look. i am going to research more. ultimately refining more here in our own country would reduce the need for tankers on the coast. the crude still needs to move.. i guess i am still learning about the lesser of two evils.

Definitely interesting stuff in that article; sure opened my eyes...and from the industry itself. It isn't hard to see why the pipeline companies would not be in favour and therefore use horrible accidents like Lac Megantic as a scare tactic away from the idea of rail. Bitumen can't explode or even 'spill' in the way that many other petro products do and transportation by rail really should be taken more seriously. Especially if we are REALLY talking about best interest of all Canadians. It can be scaled up and down easily without massive investments on a pipeline that...IMO...won't be needed one day due to market/technological forces. With rail you would retire some rail cars to scrap metal...and a pipeline...there is no way Kinder Morgan would absorb the cost to remove and remediate the damage if(when) the Trans Mountain pipeline was no longer needed. Who would pick up the tab then? Pretty obvious who's interests are being looked after if you ask me and it sure isn't the tax payers.

I thought Trump promised to OK the XL pipeline from Alberta to the Gulf Coast. That and Line 3, that was just OK'ed, should be plenty make to Alberta happy. What gives and why do they want to keep picking a fight with BC?

I thought Trump promised to OK the XL pipeline from Alberta to the Gulf Coast. That and Line 3, that was just OK'ed, should be plenty make to Alberta happy. What gives and why do they want to keep picking a fight with BC?

any direction to push out more crude.

Back