Salmon Farming Lice Removal Vessel

Peahead

Just saw this vessel departing Vancouver harbour under Lion's Gate Bridge this morning . 'Aqua Tromoy' A 30 million dollar vessel with the sole purpose of doing removal of sea lice from farmed salmon. Launched April last year. It is concerning that they dump hydrogen peroxide into our waters with the idea that due to the dilution this makes the dumping practice ok.

"The ship also boasts a sea lice treatment system involving hydrogen peroxide, which knocks the sea lice off the fish. The chemical is discharged into the sea while the ship is in motion, in order to dilute it across a wide area, according to Chris Read, a spokesperson for Mowi"

https://www.pqbnews.com/news/video-...l-to-treat-salmon-for-sea-lice-in-b-c-waters/

It is concerning that they dump hydrogen peroxide into our waters with the idea that due to the dilution this makes the dumping practice ok.

Hydrogen peroxide ( H2O2) is an unstable molecule that readily breaks down to water (H2o) and oxygen (O) when exposed to light. There are many things that I find concerning with fish farms but this one is not one of them.

Yeah I read that even before I posted. While that sounds all great, I still have some concerns.

The process of how it is dumped or depending on amounts/concentrations, I do still wonder if it is just that safe. Could it be staying in its original form for longer periods and not breaking down before marine damage has already been done? With a less gradual dilution into the ocean than they claim they do, could there be more risk? I note they rely on a gradual dumping over a long stretch of ocean so that dilution allows the chemical to dissipate ( and I assume break down ). How long does it take to break down to H20? What if there is no light when it's being dumped? Is it treated at all ( eg. broken down to H20) before it is dumped?

The stuff certainly seems pretty nasty in its original form. Look at this:

"Hydrogen peroxide is a strong oxidizer (moderate oxidizer in lower concentrations), and can be corrosive to the eyes, skin, and respiratory system. This chemical can cause burns to the skin and tissue damage to the eyes"

"In the event of exposure to hydrogen peroxide, seek medical attention and follow these first aid guidelines:

• Inhalation—Seek fresh air. If victim’s breathing is difficult, administer oxygen. If breathing is absent, give artificial respiration and seek medical attention immediately.
  • Eye Contact—Remove contact lenses if present. Immediately flush eyes with plenty of water for at least 15 minutes, and seek medical attention.
  • Skin Contact—Flush skin with plenty of water and cover irritated skin with an emollient. Remove contaminated clothing. In case of serious skin exposure, use disinfectant soap and an anti-bacterial cream and seek medical attention.
  • Ingestion—Do NOT induce vomiting. Loosen tight clothing. Never give anything by mouth to an unconscious person. Seek medical attention."

Just saw this vessel departing Vancouver harbour under Lion's Gate Bridge this morning . 'Aqua Tromoy' A 30 million dollar vessel with the sole purpose of doing removal of sea lice from farmed salmon. Launched April last year. It is concerning that they dump hydrogen peroxide into our waters with the idea that due to the dilution this makes the dumping practice ok.

"The ship also boasts a sea lice treatment system involving hydrogen peroxide, which knocks the sea lice off the fish. The chemical is discharged into the sea while the ship is in motion, in order to dilute it across a wide area, according to Chris Read, a spokesperson for Mowi"

https://www.pqbnews.com/news/video-...l-to-treat-salmon-for-sea-lice-in-b-c-waters/
There is a solution to not have to do this. It's called closed containment!

Back