Salmon derbies flounder under stricter Chinook regulations

Shout out to @Mark L for making the papers. What a guy!
It is sad but true! The cancelled Sooke derby from last year, the cancelled sidney derby this year... I hope DFO pulls their heads from out of their asses and can finally tackle some of the big problems causing the fish numbers to drop.
It’s not like we aren’t telling them what the problems actually are. They just have to listen!

This is the one thing I am most scared of more than restriction itself. People just assume that our enhancement projects get funding. Most of the time that is not the case many of these events support these causes. You can rest assure the MMC Caucus isn't going to fund these projects once we are gone. Look at South Island this year. Consultants Invitational, Bite Me Derby, Sidney Anglers Derby, and teh JDF not running at all. Combined that is like 80-90k in enhancement funds gone in just one year.

Even SVIAC is trying to get the cash for net pen going this year in face of what is happening. I applaud there efforts but that will be tough without major funding as most anglers seem to lost interest. With that enhancement money gone some projects are going to be really effected in the next year.

I guess when you live in a glass house like the NGO's you don't see it that way. One thing I am telling businesses this year really look at where your money is going. I know I am looking at switching my funding/donations so it goes right to some projects this year instead of organizations. More grass roots type of funding.

Very sad situation indeed! Local enhancement groups are going to have to come up with new ways to get needed financial support and the angling community hopefully will show their financial support as they have before.

Shout out to @Mark L for making the papers. What a guy!
It is sad but true! The cancelled Sooke derby from last year, the cancelled sidney derby this year... I hope DFO pulls their heads from out of their asses and can finally tackle some of the big problems causing the fish numbers to drop.
It’s not like we aren’t telling them what the problems actually are. They just have to listen!
I meant to write something up about this earlier. I'm truly pissed and embarrassed by this write and feel I was duped by the lil weasel that wrote it. The guy approached me at the end of the derby...told me writes for the Vancouver sun and wanted to do a write up about the derby. Right from the opening sentence words are twisted and completely taken out of context. He was not there when I put my fish on the scale. When I was handed the trophy someone yelled out "you catch that in the narrows"? And my backhanded reply was I grew it in my bathtub. I said I do enjoy a little friendly competition amongst friends.
I was tired...sun and windburn by the end of the day and my initial thought when he asked me to answer some questions was **** off but I was just trying to be friendly. If I had of known his true intentions for the article I would have declined speaking to him.

Larry Pynn is well know for exactly this he has long earned a reputation for twisting around what people have to say . He does not write for the Vancouver sun he is a freelance writer. "Little Weasel" is the perfect description of Larry Pynn. He will ask questions and suck people in and then twist what they have to say around.

BE VERY CAREFUL if ever asked to be interviewed by little tiny male reporter named Larry Pynn.

I have always been disappointed by the Vancouver sun for printing his BS.

"But some derbies have found creative ways around that restriction. This summer’s Vancouver Chinook Classic, for instance, will be strictly catch and release. When an angler catches a fish, an official chase boat will pull alongside and estimate the fish’s weight based on its length and girth to determine the derby winner."

Frankly the idea of keeping a fish in a net alongside the boat, thrashing around, while a derby official comes alongside to measure it (in maybe 5 minutes in the best case scenario) is pretty stupid. And there's a chance the tired fish gets swallowed by a seal when it's released.

If we're all that concerned with conservation, why not just donate directly to the PSF?

By that logic, why attend a charity event and bid on an auction item? Or even pay for a table?

Many like to give back and even better when you get something in return for their dollars.

Whether a social event or a fishing derby.

A win win.

derbies, dinners, fishing trips, social gatherings, etc all have an important role to play, IMO. The reason so many anglers are passionate about salmon conservation is not necessarily because of their altruism but because it's part of their lives and they have great memories of fishing, bs'ing on the dock, meeting new friends at events, etc. Take away the opportunity to fish and the interest in conservation efforts will dry up big time!

p.s. I've competed in the Vancouver Chinook Classic derby several times and the weigh-boats on the water have been right beside me every time i've netted a fish so the hand over time has averaged around 20 seconds. They then spend up to a minute taping and releasing the fish so for the most part it's a very well run system. Is there a chance the revived fish will be eaten by a seal? Yes there is. However, I think that chance is minimal and I think the fact they have opted for a C&R type derby is quite admirable so i'm fully supportive of their efforts.

"But some derbies have found creative ways around that restriction. This summer’s Vancouver Chinook Classic, for instance, will be strictly catch and release. When an angler catches a fish, an official chase boat will pull alongside and estimate the fish’s weight based on its length and girth to determine the derby winner."

Frankly the idea of keeping a fish in a net alongside the boat, thrashing around, while a derby official comes alongside to measure it (in maybe 5 minutes in the best case scenario) is pretty stupid. And there's a chance the tired fish gets swallowed by a seal when it's released.

If we're all that concerned with conservation, why not just donate directly to the PSF?

Back