Salmon Canning Basics

Bassblaster

Hey guys, I just went through the old posts looking for any info on canning salmon and while there's lots of tips for improving it, I can't find a thread that covers the basics. Can anyone provide me with a start to finish guide for canning them? Never done it before and Id rather go with someones proven formula rather than waste fish experimenting with what I can find on line. Things I'm looking for would be the process, brine info, cook times etc. Need to get groceries so I figured I'd make sure I picked up what I'm going to need. Thanks.

Hey guys, I just went through the old posts looking for any info on canning salmon and while there's lots of tips for improving it, I can't find a thread that covers the basics. Can anyone provide me with a start to finish guide for canning them? Never done it before and Id rather go with someones proven formula rather than waste fish experimenting with what I can find on line. Things I'm looking for would be the process, brine info, cook times etc. Need to get groceries so I figured I'd make sure I picked up what I'm going to need. Thanks.

Does this mean you caught some fish finally?

Yeah, it does. My first "official" West coast salmon not including the little shaker I got with you back in December. I'll post when I get the pics off buddy's camera.

Thanks for the link Dogbreath. Helps a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is what I came up with...seems to work great.

1. Fillet fish and remove skin – slice fillets suitable for size jars, leaving at least ½” head space – store in air tight container in fridge if required.
2. Wash required number of jars and screw lids in dishwasher.
3. Heat/store snap lids in hot water (not boiling) until ready to use.
4. Pack salmon tightly into jars removing as many air spaces as possible and leaving 1 – ½” of head space.
5. Sprinkle some sea salt on top of salmon and wipe rim clean using paper towel and vinegar.
6. Remove snap lids from bath with tongs and centre on jar – screw on fingertip tight.
7. Place jars in canner and fill with tap water to bottom of screw lid.
8. Secure canner lid with vent cap on and begin to heat on high.
9. Check once vent begins to show sign of steam leakage and remove to allow for steam to escape freely for 10 minutes.
10. Replace vent cap and adjust heat so cap rocks steady without blowing off.
11. Allow to cook for 90 minutes.
12. Turn off heat and let sit for 15 minutes or so – remove vent cap to allow steam/pressure to subside.
13. Remove lid and remove jars from canner keeping upright and allow to cool at room temp on towel overnight.
14. DONE!!

15. Listen for lid to pop as it cools!
16. Check to see if all lids have a concave in the middle before storing!

I missed a few once, but there isn't any fear of accidently eating one............you know as soon as it's opened!!!!! WHEW!!

I always put a teaspoon of white vinegar and several peppercorns in the jars before putting the lid on. The vinegar totally disintegrates any bones that you've left. (I pack skin and bones in my jars) We remove the peppercorns before eating.

The other thing is wash the jars in light soapy water after they have cooled. Gets rid of any oil on the outside.

The Salmon canning recipe that I have used for to many years to mention, always recommended soaking your pieces in a brine before inserting in jars. 1/2 lb. pickling salt in 1 gallon of water for 60 min. Drain don't rinse and pac into jars leaving 1/2 in. from top of rim. I used a chopstick cut to size as a template for cutting fish to fit precisely into jars. eman

Also what I like to do is throw a sprig of dill inside and 1 clove of garlic and yes a few peppercorns as seasoned meat tases way better try any thing you like you may find some new things you really like ...

Good luck Wolf

I believe Mr. Blaster is looking for a canning process that's safe and dependable. Flavourings are certainly a secondary consideration.;) eman

Eman thats "seasoning" not flavoring LOL LOL we are not making a margaritta LOL LOL

Thanks for all the feed-back guys. I'll be giving them a try. Also going to try the Brandy idea from the other canning thread on here.

I sometimes have been known to toss in a little piece of jalapeno or garlic clove from time to time,
and as already mentioned a sprig or 2 of dill is a must.
I do have a decent canner recipe somewhere if you havnt found one I can probably post it for you
heres a good link, make sure to use pressure canner method for any meats

http://www.simplycanning.com/canning-fish.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Back