Sad News

profisher

Just heard today that the very long time creel survey person for the Victoria, Sidney and Sooke are passed away last week. His name was Hugo and many of you will have encountered him at some point over the years at the local marinas.

That is very sad. I saw him many times at cattle point. Do you know what happened? I know he had a daughter. He was a character for sure.

Just heard today that the very long time creel survey person for the Victoria, Sidney and Sooke are passed away last week. His name was Hugo and many of you will have encountered him at some point over the years at the local marinas.

I met Hugo...what a surprise...any idea of how old he was???
Always friendly and a good people person.

I’m very sorry to hear that. His daughter was a student of mine and Hugo was always a good guy.
T2

Nooo. That’s very sad! Hugo was a damn good guy and very friendly. Always respectful.
I always made time for Hugo to let him do his thing.
That’s very ****** news. :-(

I don’t have many details other than he was found unconscious.

The guys at Esquimalt Anglers told me yesterday afternoon

Hugo Vandenschrick was Dutch and definitely over 50. I spoke with Hugo every week when getting info for the Island Outfitters weekly fishing report.

Sorry to hear. Talked to him many a time at Cattle Point. I used to tell him how many fish each of You lieing Bastards actually caught. ha ha. Felt sorry for him when he had to wait in his little car for 3 hours for someone to come in.

Last edited:
Oh no. I spoke to him many times at Pedder. Such a nice man. He told me a few good fishing stories and always greeted us with a big smile and we would have a nice visit with him. How sad. I will so miss not seeing him.

Back