Sad day today for renfrew net pen

wayne marwood

Crew Member
it is a very sad day to here the government said no more net pen for port renfrew it started in 2004 people who fished east point side every year the fishing got better and better,we call it a place we’re people who gets sea sick can fish.i would like too say to all the people who helped out for all them years and all there very hard work ,it is time to wake this government up before in are life time there will be no fishing at all.it is time to get on the bus before you will be sitting at home

it is a very sad day to here the government said no more net pen for port renfrew it started in 2004 people who fished east point side every year the fishing got better and better,we call it a place we’re people who gets sea sick can fish.i would like too say to all the people who helped out for all them years and all there very hard work ,it is time to wake this government up before in are life time there will be no fishing at all.it is time to get on the bus before you will be sitting at home

What was the reason? I think we need to ask why, and will bring it up at our fall meetings. If Sooke has one why can't Renfrew?

Hmmm... fishing in the evening at east point was one of my favorite spots; be interesting to know what happened

garbage ... the fishing was stellar near woods nose , imo as a result of the efforts towards the pen and thanks to those who made the effort over the years

As @SpringVelocity asked earlier. Why?

They meet with the government they said no,they will putting fish in to the places they fixed up along the river,I think they would do a lot better in the salt water to,the government said they might do the pen in a couple years again

They meet with the government they said no,they will putting fish in to the places they fixed up along the river,I think they would do a lot better in the salt water to,the government said they might do the pen in a couple years again
So how is this good for the whales?

I do not know government is going cheap on us .if they sat down and figure out how much each person who fishes spends they would be putting more fish back ,and not sitting on there hands keeping every group happy but the fishermen

What was the reason? I think we need to ask why, and will bring it up at our fall meetings. If Sooke has one why can't Renfrew?

imo, they (DFO) don't like ANY chinook salmon competing in the markets with the invasive open net pen atlantic salmon they are all in on and don't seem to have a problem supporting generously with our tax payer dollars.
I don't think they would like to see this catch on...

Last edited:
imo, they don't like ANY chinook salmon competing in the markets with the invasive open net pen atlantic salmon they are all in on and don't seem to have a problem supporting generously with our tax payer dollars.
I don't think they would like to see this catch on...

I still dont get it.

Last edited:
I still dont get it.
I don't either , not sure how fish farms figure in. But considering their supposed concern over the lack of food for the SRKW I don't think this is a step forward. They don't know for sure if their new plan will work. Why not at least do both for a couple of return cycles. If it's working great, if not there are still fish going out to feed the whales from a program that is proven to work. Seems like total political BS to me.

where was or is the net pen located? I fish East Point occasionally and did not realize there was a net pen associated with the fishing success

I don't either , not sure how fish farms figure in. But considering their supposed concern over the lack of food for the SRKW I don't think this is a step forward. They don't know for sure if their new plan will work. Why not at least do both for a couple of return cycles. If it's working great, if not there are still fish going out to feed the whales from a program that is proven to work. Seems like total political BS to me.

It most likely is because the Sooke net pen is already doing it, and they dont have enough fish from Nitinat to do both. That would be my main guess. Jack Brooks also takes fish I believe. So a 3rd might eb too much. Again I don't know full story but seems weird.

Yes it was one of the best spots for one ,for tide movement ,lots of great returns of fish coming back,and lots made it back to the river so there should still be good fishing there,

Back