Rupert road trip to camp and fish advice

Goblin

Hello, considering a road trip from okanagan to Prince Rupert this August with my wife and kids. Been going to Vancouver island last couple years but ferry rates and accommodations are killing us, We'd be taking two trucks, one hauling boat, one hauling travel trailer. Boat is 18 ft hewes went to Esperanza with it last season and it handled it well but still always watch the weather close. Heard work channel would be a good option for crab, prawns, maybe halibut and salmon but might be late. As it is long drive I'm looking for any advice on good camping spots perfably with moorage options. Fishing ideas for a boat that size with kids on board. Would love to get some halibut as it is my wife's goal to get some in the freezer. Any tips you guys can throw my way would be appreciated.

It sounds like an awesome trip, but it is a long one.
Just so you know, BC Ferries is allowing combining two different discounts for some significant savings if you cross really early or really late on certain days. It's a day to PG and another to PR.
I'd consider going to Bamfield, camp at Pachena Bay, fish with the kids in Barkley, then send them to the beach and chase halis offshore.
Ukee (Island West) is easier to get to, has a dock, but the camping is lame and you get pounded coming back from Barkley in the afternoon lots of days. There is other camping in Ukee that looks nicer, but I haven't tried any of them.

Make sure you check on the new restrictions for that area before you make your final decision

Make sure you check on the new restrictions for that area before you make your final decision
Restriction for Rupert only pertain to Chinook and 0 retention is only from June 16-July 10th. Outside of this time you can retain 1 Chinook with 2 in possession. In August you are more likely to get into tons of coho with the odd spring still cruising around. The work channel is a good option for a smaller boat but the road is very rough getting in there. Also pretty busy so might be tough trying to find a spot to park a trailer. Might be worth looking at the float lodge at the end of the Work and stay there. It used to be called Ocean Wild but I'm sure if you Google it you can find the new name. Might be more cost effective to leave the trailer and stay there for a couple of nights. Depends on length of trip.
You can also go to kitimat. There is a camp site right at the marina and you can leave your boat on the dock overnight. Great coho fishing in August down the Douglas.

Thank you I'll look into the floating lodge, looked around and couldn't find to much but will keep on it. The new regs are going to change a lot of people's plans. The drive out to the coast from Prince George will be scenic and not to busy traffic wise. How long is the work channel some stuff I found said 50km others said 30km.

Thank you I'll look into the floating lodge, looked around and couldn't find to much but will keep on it. The new regs are going to change a lot of people's plans. The drive out to the coast from Prince George will be scenic and not to busy traffic wise. How long is the work channel some stuff I found said 50km others said 30km.

Approx. 30nm to Work Channel from Rupert and you will be to 7kn going through the narrows past Metlakatla. Dixon Entrance can be real nasty coming out of the north or south also. Not like Esperanza at all!

Last edited:
30 miles from the put in point to the head of the channel. It’s about the same from Prince Rupert but not as protected waters.

Hope this helps

Oly

Metlakatla is not going through the Work Channel. That is going from Prince Rupert up through semi sheltered waters. Work Channel has protected waters all the way, but a long logging road travel will be your first endeavour.

Oly

I stay at Kinnikinnik Campground in Port Edward just outside of Prince Rupert. http://www.kinnikcamp.com/
I love it there and Ray, the camp attendant, is great!
The launch is two minutes from camp and fishing is as close as twenty minutes away on the water. That is closer than the top of Work Channel
I run a 17.5 ft Lund no problem most days. Watch out for a southeast building towards 20 knots as it can get bumpy (Depending on how you feel)other wise good to go
Fishing is a short run over to Humpback, Eddies Pass or you can go north to Avery. All good salmon spots and close to good crabing and Halibut etc. If you want tsome more info PM me

Back