Rule-mate 1100 cycles every 2 mins?

Pearl dog

I recently replaced my bilge pump with the new version of the rule 1100. Pretty much a simple swap out. It’s wired to work automatically only, no switch. And it does work. Pumps like crazy.. thing is, it seems to rhythmically cycle on/off. And sometimes it wants to pump but there’s nothing there to pump out? I googled it but there’s a lot of conflicting stories/info. I hadn’t noticed until today when I was floating around with the motor off waiting for my prawn traps to soak. Anybody experienced this? Any advice? Thanks..

I've had the exact same problem with my Rule 2000 automatic bilge pump went 2 years no problems and then it started to turn on when ever it felt like
it, it pumped water out but eventually i think the sensor started going and no longer pumped water, so i tested the pump out on the constant wire or for a switch and it works like a charm, so i put in a float switch to by pass.. i've got 2 bilge pumps incase of failure of one...

Common problem it seems with them..... happened to me and a couple of my buds as well. The sensor shuts the bed but the pump is fine...... did the exact same thing as Reeltime

Same problem here. I gave up on it and went back to the traditional pump with a float switch.

I've read a fair bit about this on a Ranger/Cutwater forum. Not sure which models of Rule but apparently some are designed this way. They will cycle every couple of minutes to check for water. If there in no increase in current draw as a result of water against the impeller it quickly shuts off. Most of the complaints from folks that had them on their cruisers was that the cycling during the night when they were trying to sleep was a pain in the butt. They said you either get use to it or you change the pump. LOL As tubber noted above, only minimal current draw with this built in feature.

Is it this one?
https://www.tcschandlery.co.uk/rule-1100-fully-automatic-submersible-bilge-pump-12v/p6343

The power use during the checking mode is minimal, the bilge pump will consume 0.2 amp hours per day in the checking mode.

not exactly. It looks different from that but damn... that’s what it’s doing. I bought it online and it definitely didn’t have that in the description. Not to mention it’s the spitting image of the old one so I thought it would be the same. It’s super annoying. Any boat that had this in a livaboard type marina or even a quiet anchorage would be shunned. Physical distancing required. It’s like sailboat rigging wacking the mast in a light breeze. I’ll pull it out tomorrow. Maybe it just needs the prawn oil remnants wiped off it? Thanks for the link btw..

Yes that model cycles all the time which seems really dumb. It’s the reason I bought this new model. Does not cycle.
https://www.amazon.ca/Rule-Mate-Ful...hild=1&keywords=RM1100B&qid=1586352186&sr=8-1
Yeah, this one also cycles. "Water-sensing" technology. In one of the comments the writer says it cycles every 2-1/2 minutes. All the automatic bilge pumps do the same thing. You are better off with the traditional pump and float switch set-up. There is no current draw unless the pump needs to run.

Yeah, this one also cycles. "Water-sensing" technology. In one of the comments the writer says it cycles every 2-1/2 minutes. All the automatic bilge pumps do the same thing. You are better off with the traditional pump and float switch set-up. There is no current draw unless the pump needs to run.
I have had mine installed for a year and it only runs when water is in the bilge. However I did find this in the manual:

RuleMate bilge pumps have built-in programming that can sense when the pump is running but not pumping water to protect the pump, vessel, and the vessel’s batteries. If debris fouls the sensor or the pump becomes air-bound, the pump will stop running and begin to “check” for water every 2-1/2 minutes. Once the debris is removed, the pump will revert to its normal operation, turning on when the water reaches approximately 2-1/2" and shutting off at 5/8"

I have had mine installed for a year and it only runs when water is in the bilge. However I did find this in the manual:

RuleMate bilge pumps have built-in programming that can sense when the pump is running but not pumping water to protect the pump, vessel, and the vessel’s batteries. If debris fouls the sensor or the pump becomes air-bound, the pump will stop running and begin to “check” for water every 2-1/2 minutes. Once the debris is removed, the pump will revert to its normal operation, turning on when the water reaches approximately 2-1/2" and shutting off at 5/8"
Better technology. Thanks for the info.

Thanks for the info. I pulled it out today. No obvious issues but I cleaned it up and removed a bit of debris from the area. Seems to work normally again. Not cycling, just pumping water if there is some.

Ya there is dirt on the sensor mine did it also talked to the rule guy at the boat show and he said to take a toothbrush and clean it out mine is a b word to get at so I just put some bilge cleaner in in the bilge and it cleaned it it’s self

Ya there is dirt on the sensor mine did it also talked to the rule guy at the boat show and he said to take a toothbrush and clean it out mine is a b word to get at so I just put some bilge cleaner in in the bilge and it cleaned it it’s self
Bang on! I decided to do what you said above, took the plastic screen cover off and there was a slight film of dirt on the inner housing and i guess the sensor
is in the plastic 1/2x 2" protruding piece, i scrubbed that down put it all back together and she works perfect tested it 10-15 times and dumps water and shuts
right off, so when the water tester pump comes on first to see if there's any water and stays on and cycles non stop that means the sensor is dirty.

Gave that whole bilge area a major cleaning, prawn oils, salmon blood, dirt, bilge cleaner from now on every 2 months

Back