Rough Start to The Year...

IronNoggin

We thought last year was tough, but we did manage to make it through, and did manage to find some rather fine moments among the rocky ones.

Was hoping that rough road was behind us. But yesterday I get a panicked call from my Lady - Something dreadfully wrong with my car. Please come help!

Uh-Oh...

Scrambled to her side, which thankfully happened to be in a parking lot rather than the middle of the road. Quick look - tranny is TOAST! Damn!! This is in a Ford Taurus that requires the sideways mounted engine to be pulled just to get at the front wheel drive transmission. Translation: Big Bucks. Big Bucks we simply do not have. Living paycheck to paycheck is OK when there are no disasters. When one comes calling though...
upset.png

So, She took my 4x4 off to work today, not a great solution as it eats a hell of a lot more fuel than her car did. Having a pro confirm my thoughts on the tranny, then off to the wrecker that ones goes probably tomorrow.

Could be worse, we still largely have our health...

Any one out there looking to get shed of an inexpensive commuter car, let me know! Jingle is tight, so we can't come up with anything beyond $ 3K max at this point. Would prefer on The Island of course, but willing to wander within reason for a decent deal...

Here's hoping this ain't a sign of what we can expect for the rest of the coming year!!
DontThere.gif

Nog

I have a similar issue with A 2000 grand am. Solinoids are toast and will barely hold in gear when warm. Unfortunatly
The trannie is worth more then the car.
Planned obsolescence .
This is why fixing older cars is almost a thing of the past but dang new vehicles are not cheap..
Happy new years

If I were looking for a used commuter vehicle id get one with a standard transmission. Way cheaper now, since millennials can’t drive or steal them.
Subaru’s have a hillholder clutch which makes them easiest to drive.
My 2 cents
Stosh

The Lady went with a PT Cruiser - one owner - 75 year old Lady.
Mint shape, and a very good deal (Family Friends).

EU3rEn6.jpg

Very well maintained, low mileage, never a lick of problems, and two sets of tires on rims to boot.
And Yep, that little ol' Lady actually had the dealership paint the flames on the sides.
My Lady ain't overly fussy for them, but warmed up after I suggested one of my Buddies can airbrush a Roadrunner in front of them...
highly_amused.png

Cheers,
Nog

She won't be driving around in "incognito mode", Matt, but looks to be in stellar shape. Nice one.
I like the flames. lol

Perfect, glad it worked out for you guys Nog. I’m sure momma will get a few good years use out of it.

If she really doesn’t dig the flames in sure with the mild use of a heat gun they would come off quite easy.

... If she really doesn’t dig the flames in sure with the mild use of a heat gun they would come off quite easy.

Yep, given it's condition it should last a spell...

One of my Buddies is a Magician with an air brush. We'll do the Roadrunner thing, and if that ain't to her liking (she LIKES "incognito"!) then he will deal with their removal... I kind of hope they stay... LOL

Cheers,
Nog

Good for you Matt, very glad it all worked out. Now to pimp the other part of her car. Cant wait to see. BTW Couple years ago I got a dam speeding ticket in one of them, going to Cabelas in Glendale. Watch the lead foot side, nice ridding car, got style with room in back for tackle//rods/hunting gear?? Sure its only for Admiral?

HM

My Lady ain't overly fussy for them, but warmed up after I suggested one of my Buddies can airbrush a Roadrunner in front of them...
highly_amused.png

If you add the Roadrunner to tell the whole story you will need a coyote under an anvil. LOL. Seriously, love the Roadrunner idea.

Sweet! How many K? It's an interference engine with a timing belt so replacement is cheaper than failure!

Less than 100 K for miles. And yep, I can actually swap out that timing belt myself if I ever have to!

Cheers
Nog

Back