Rod Holders

rutskin

What are you using for rod holders? Looking at changing rod holders from the tube style to Scotty orca or striker pros/cons

I have a striker on one side and a powerlock on the other, and tubes on the DRs.
My halibut reels fit into the striker better than the powerlock. I don't like reaching out for the downrigger tubes. Never tried an Orca.

Truthfully... the Orca rod holders scare me a bit... I have them.... they boast about the fact that you can just grab and pull straight up and they release the rod.... but under heavy load straight downward.. (Halibut fishing)..... I could swear that I almost lost a couple rods.... I was watching and could see that as the boats bounced up and down from the swells they were so close to popping open... now I use the little white lock on the bottom of them that need to be unlocked in order fort he rod to be pulled straight up.... my 2 cents.
I do like the size of them however.

How do mooching reels particularly Islanders fit in the Orcas are they a good match. Going to be buying new holders for the new boat and was thinking of going with the Orcas.

#metoo
My new rigger mounts are way up on the stainless guard rails and make it nearly impossible to use the rocket launchers way out there. I would like an orca style for out the sides and I'll move the rocket launchers to the inside (back facing) rods. I don't know which works best for an easy pull out with an islander.

On that note does anyone want to trade stainless rocket launchers for something else?

What are you using for rod holders? Looking at changing rod holders from the tube style to Scotty orca or striker pros/cons

It's a bit early to be on about rod-holders, but here's what I like.

Ones that can follow easy and explicit instructions on how many pulls to let out, how to do a quick weed check and who can hold the rod still and in place when I'm rowing/fishing.

Also, it helps if they are female, blonde or brunette, and easy on the eyes................damn......just occurred to me you're not talking about those kinds of rod-holders at all.

Sorry, my bad. :p

Take care.

RowingGals.jpg

Ones that can follow easy and explicit instructions on how many pulls to let out, how to do a quick weed check and who can hold the rod still and in place when I'm rowing/fishing.

Also, it helps if they are female, blonde or brunette, and easy on the eyes................damn......just occurred to me you're not talking about those kinds of rod-holders at all.

Take care.

View attachment 42512
Dave H... one for the ages!

I use the Orca's on mine. I have them tilted right back and they are easy to get to and release which is good as I have lower back issues.
Will probably be on sale at the boat show.

IMG_5513.JPG

Take care.

View attachment 42512

Pretty much mandatory for me that my rod holder be female..

I use the Orca's on mine. I have them tilted right back and they are easy to get to and release which is good as I have lower back issues.
Will probably be on sale at the boat show.

View attachment 42513

What length of extension do you have on there, is it mandatory to have the extension with the orcas or can they be ran with out like the rocket launchers.

Nice pic of Sheringham, kind of odd though that Rollie isn't in there hogging the inside tac lol.

Last edited:
Those are the Offshore Orca number 405. It comes with that extension.

Rollie went in at 6:31 am with his limit. I was there till dusk..... :)

If anyone is interested their is 3 new folbe rod holders with extensions for sale on Vancouver craigslist-boat parts for 200 dollars not a bad deal. I have 4 already for Hali fishing they do work very well !!!

Tight lines
Billydoo

I switched to Orcas last year to alleviate the problem of pulling up and away with the rod while under tension. Was difficult for new fisherman and some of my family. Initially didn't like the orcas as it still put it out too much and I didn't like the turque on the holder. I made an insert out of starboard to mount under the scotty so that the orca could be closer to the gunnel and have rotational control as well. Pics to follow.

I've owned Orca's and never felt confident they wouldn't let go and lose a rod,especially halibut fishing.The Strikers are really solid,you can lock the rod in and never worry about it no matter what.I think I still have an Orca around somewhere that I would definetly sell.

Thinking about buying Burnewiin flush mounts, downrigger holders and rod holders. Do many people have these flush mounts and are they worth spending that kind of money. Going to put it on my new 2325 Kingfisher. Only want to do this once, hopefully.

Thinking about buying Burnewiin flush mounts, downrigger holders and rod holders. Do many people have these flush mounts and are they worth spending that kind of money. Going to put it on my new 2325 Kingfisher. Only want to do this once, hopefully.

They tried to sell me on them when I bought my boat this summer and it was a hard no for me. They had a couple boats at the dealership with them on and I didn’t like them, not for downrigger mounts. Way to much stress over a small area for my liking. I swung out one rigger on one of the boats they had rigged up and went down on the ground and I grabbed the end of the rigger and did a quick stress test. The amount of movement I could get out of them was shocking. Like I say not in my boat. Maybe for a rod holder fine but no need for that much of a mount just for a rod holder. I’m an equiment guy and a life time of experience has taught me that anything that flexes will wear from stress and eventually break, no way around that. I went with the Scotty base plate plus underneath I lined the bottom side of the gunnel with full width and 24” long piece of 1/2“ HDPE board as backing for my downriggers and it also catches my Scotty flush mount holders. Over kill you bet but they are there for a lifetime if needed. No movement out of that gunnel, they are trouble free.

Just my two bits on it.

Back