Rod advice

kermit

I have used single action reels all of my fishing life but have recently developed arthritis in my right hand. I now find it very hard to keep up when the fish run at the boat. Which they seem to do more than they used to. I have a real sweet shimano tekota 600 levelwind which would do the job well and I would like some recommendations on a suitable rod for downrigger use. I am thinking something around 10'. Of course it would need a casting rod type reel seat. I am willing to spend some money on it. Thanks in advance. Brian.

I have a pair of Emery Sirius SDR rods I use with level wind reels when fishing deep. The Sirius is made for downrigger use with guides set in a spiral pattern so the line exits underneath the rod tip as usual. I also like the fluoro orange rod tip, makes it easier to see against a dark background.

Any 'steelhead' rod will work as long as the Tekota reel seat fits the rod-that's become an issue with so many different brands on the market- I tried fitting my Shimano Charter Special 1000's on an earlier Technium model but it wouldn't fit good thing I checked.

I always recommend the Lamiglas Classic Glass but it's only 9' long.

Loomis has a couple great models all 10.5' as does Shimano- 10' isn't easy to find.

I have used single action reels all of my fishing life but have recently developed arthritis in my right hand. I now find it very hard to keep up when the fish run at the boat. Which they seem to do more than they used to. I have a real sweet shimano tekota 600 levelwind which would do the job well and I would like some recommendations on a suitable rod for downrigger use. I am thinking something around 10'. Of course it would need a casting rod type reel seat. I am willing to spend some money on it. Thanks in advance. Brian.
Hey Brian, I know that Shimano makes a nice technium with a casting trigger - in 10’6”. Super sturdy, good spine and some great action. Also not expensive you’ll spend $200. Check it out.

Hey Brian, I know that Shimano makes a nice technium with a casting trigger - in 10’6”. Super sturdy, good spine and some great action. Also not expensive you’ll spend $200. Check it out.
Hey Brian, as west coast Mike said the shimano technium makes a great rod. That would be my recommendation for sure. Harbour chandler just put there black Friday flyer out and that rod will be on sale for $129 November 27th.

X3 on Shimano Technium casting rod med-heavy version. Great rod for Chinook fishing in the ocean or river. Has a lot of backbone to tire out the big fish really quick. I have 4 mooching rods but if I plan to fish solo for chinooks that’d be my number one choice. Brings the fish to boat quicker than softer rods and doesn’t hurt the wallet either.

Thanks for all the advice gentlemen. I took your advice and ordered a technium from harbour chandler. The medium heavy is 159.99 and the lighter weight one ( 12-25 lbs) is 119.99. I opted for the lighter one, a little more "sporting methinks" Now to just get winter out of the way! Thanks again for the heads up on the sale. Brian.

Back