Rockfish in the Strait of Georgia...what do you guys know about these 2 types?

gamechanger

Hi guys, one of our senior scientists was wondering if yellowtail rockfish or redstripe rockfish are caught in any abundance in the Strait of Georgia. The creel survey captures this, if these 2 species are identified (but usually they aren't), and they only come up in the system in small numbers...so I thought I would put it out to the rec community for your thoughts.

Thanks for your feedback.

Brad

Attachments

• redstripe.jpg
    redstripe.jpg
    31.4 KB · Views: 234
  • Yellowtail_Rockfish_Black.jpg
    Yellowtail_Rockfish_Black.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 223
I fish the sog a lot and have never seen those two fish. Mind you I only troll and don't jig for fish so might not see them trolling. I also try to stay off bottom to keep rockfish off the line.
GLG

I get the redstripe when fishing salmon 200+ feet off of nanoose, sangster and french creek.Always small 14-18 inches and 100% mortality when caught.I would say 5-8 per summer fishing 70 days.

One spot I know in area 14 where ive caught several yellowtails over the years. Generally find them midwater in 60-100 ft. They are very tasty!!

The problem is that creel surveys don't survey the guys catching most of these. I have seen a couple of boatloads of people who have come back to the dock with many of these on board. According to another guy I speak to every so often, who is a Creel Surveyor, has seen these guys as well, there's no way to tell just how many they are hauling out.

The one on the left is I believe a Boccassio Rock Fish. The second could be a black rock cod or brown bomber. They are quite common on the west coast. Haven't seen to much in Area 14 though.:D eman

I have caught one of those Redstripes a few years back out of Parksville. Didn't know what it was - looked like a tiny funny looking snapper to me at the time. As kelly said, too small for consumption and probably not survived. But I don't fish there often to make a general judgement.

I like that you are involving the sportfishing community for gathering info, Brad! There is a lot of info and data that could be gathered through us for virtually no money! Very smart and appreciated such logical progress within DFO! And always happy to help out for a good cause!

I did quite a bit of bottom fishing off gabriola / thrasher area this past summer. Saw a lot of rockfish but neither of the two species you have pictured. Primarily the quillback rockfish with the odd yelloweye.

Hummm-- Science goes trolling??? What is the intent of the question please..

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a DECENT pic of a yellowtail. I will try to google up a good pic of a red striped as well

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Sebastes_flavidus.jpg

Eaglemaniac--FAIL!!! LOL

I have never seen a red striped in the Strait of Georgia, but I have caught several yellowtail over the years . Yellowtail are abundant in Hardy and outside and sometimes schools of small ones can be seen swarming bait schools. Bigger ones are good to eat. but can be be PITA when trolling.

But how come DFO Science is asking Brad??? If we catch too many, will they be SARA listed?? Just asking....................

I'm sad that you consider my choices laughable. That first one is still a Boccassio

Nope it's Redstripe Rockfish (Sebastes proriger) not a Boccacio

Click Here for more info

Sepro_u0.jpg

I used to catch those red stripes in Menzies Bay and alongside Yellow Island near Seymour Narrows when I was in the live rockfish business twenty years ago but they were never very common. The other one the yellowtails I occasionally caught while salmon fishing with live herring very deep by the Cape Mudge lighthouse.

The Red Stripes i always remember because of their goofy lower lip, similar resemblance to an immature snapper and they also have a semi metallic sheen in the sunlight. I would not be suprised if i have caught yellowtail before but can't say that 100% as i likely release them thinking their quillback without much of a look. I dont want to hijack the thread but all this rockfish talk reminds me i have a pic of a honest 50+ lb snapper if anyone is interested i can post.

Not 100% on the story as it is a friend of friend. I think it was a longliner/trawler from the central coast. Also saw pics of 60+ lb sablefish and lingcod, salt caught green sturgeon and some unknown interesting deepsea species. This snapper blew my mind.

pic 1

snapper-1.jpg

pic 2

snapper2.jpg

Back