Rock slide in Fraser River, B.C., may hinder salmon passage

I doubt they are still working on this your talking about 50+ people living in camps and hotels.

I doubt they are still working on this your talking about 50+ people living in camps and hotels.
Well hopefully they are still keeping the blasting crew there to finish their work as it is basically an essential service for migrating salmon to get by. Teck is still mining coal with crews from work camps in Fernie so I'm sure this would rate a little higher on the priority list.

Big Bar landslide response information bulletin
March 24 2020

Onsite operations
At this time, the COVID-19 outbreak has not caused significant delays to the work at the Big Bar landslide. Prime contractor Peter Kiewit Sons ULC (Kiewit) is taking additional health and safety precautions, including tightening site access to limit the risk to workers. The landslide response continues to be a top priority with resources remaining dedicated to the work .

Water levels remain low, and with the addition of a swift water rescue night-shift, crews are tackling crucial in-river work around the clock. This week, crews removed additional rock from the river, installed supports for the West Bank canopy, and improved the access route in multiple locations.

Kiewit is also preparing for the second East Toe blast. Crews have detonated charges to create a plateau on the rock outcropping to use as a drilling platform. They will move an air track drill to this shelf by heavy lift helicopter in the coming days. Drilling will then commence, with a blast scheduled in April.

Planning for spring work
Since mid-January, Kiewit has made steady progress at the site despite challenging weather and difficult access. Although Kiewit has been successful in meeting the winter work objectives, removing large boulders and debris, recent modeling done at low water shows that a mass of slide debris situated elsewhere in the river will cause heavy flows at high water, stopping fish passage.

A team of internal and external experts has been developing contingency plans and designing alternative fish passage systems to move fish during high water, when passage will not be possible for an extended period of time. The plans include constructing a “nature-like” fishway, installing a pneumatic fish lift system, and developing a trap and transport option to collect salmon below the slide and release them up river.

Contingency planning for the enhancement of stocks returning to the upper Fraser watershed is also ongoing. A monitoring program will be implemented throughout the salmon migration period to gather as much information as possible and to aid the implementation of the contingency plans.

Our project staff met with Chief Roy Fletcher and Coordinator Dennis Fletcher from the High Bar First Nation (HBFN) on March 9, and with Chief Patrick Harry and Coordinator Catlin Duncan from the Stswecem’c Xgat’tem First Nation (SXFN) on March 11 to review the proposed contingency plans. We also discussed options and plans with representatives of the Upper Fraser Fisheries Conservation Alliance on March 11. No concerns regarding the proposed methodologies were raised during these discussions. The participants requested regular updates on next steps and their continued involvement as all three levels of government work to reduce the slide’s impact on 2020 salmon returns and beyond.

The response to the Big Bar landslide is collaborative, and teams will continue to work with communities to ensure they remain an integral part of the planning, operations, and decision-making process. Sustained efforts will be required in the short- and long-term, possibly into years ahead, to reduce the impact of the landslide on future salmon stocks.

2020-03-24-a.jpg

Crews drill boulder H7 in preparation for blasting .

2020-03-24-b.jpg

Blasting of boulder M9 occurs at the slide site.

2020-03-24-c.jpg

Work continues throughout the night with crews excavating and armoring along the river.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pacific-smon-pacifique/big-bar-landslide-eboulement/index-eng.html

March 27 2020

Ongoing landslide onsite operations
With the spring freshet fast approaching, prime contractor Peter Kiewit Sons ULC (Kiewit) worked this week on progressively blasting in-river rocks, shaping the bench for the “nature-like” fishway, and preparing for the second blast of the East Toe in April.

All rocks that were accessible from the “fingers” constructed from the west side of the river have been blasted. Crews also completed the West Bank safety canopy.

North of the East Toe, crews reached additional boulders now exposed with current low water levels and have been drilling these in preparation for removal by explosives. On the East Toe itself, a heavy lift helicopter has delivered drilling equipment to prepare the toe for blasting.

Fish monitoring within the blast area is carried out before the detonation of explosives in boulders slated for removal. To date, no fish have been detected before the blasts and no impact to fish has been observed.

The landslide response continues to be a top priority amidst the evolving COVID-19 situation. We are reviewing all planned activities on the Big Bar site to ensure we can meet public health requirements while still moving forward with this necessary work. Kiewit is taking additional health and safety precautions, including suspending all site visits which are not critical to the current project scope. Additionally, protocols have been put in place to minimize larger group gatherings in enclosed spaces.

Updating First Nations and stakeholders on Big Bar progress
On March 19, we partnered with the Province and First Nations to host two teleconferences to provide First Nations and stakeholders an update on the Big Bar landslide winter remediation work. The project team shared details on onsite operations, First Nations engagement, and mitigation measures being considered. We look forward to hosting another set of teleconferences in April 2020.

Reestablishing the First Nations Leadership Panel
Starting in April 2020, First Nations, the Province and DFO will be reengaging the First Nations Leadership Panel (FNLP) which was originally created during the summer 2019 emergency response phase. The Panel will continue its focus of collaborative decision-making on critical project milestones, including mitigation of fish passage at the Big Bar slide for 2020. Panel members will include leadership or delegates from First Nations impacted by the landslide or those with interests in Fraser River salmon stocks.

2020-03-27-a.jpg

Crews continue significant in-river excavation.

2020-03-27-b.jpg

Installation of the rock fall protection safety canopy was completed this week on the west side.

2020-03-27-c.jpg

A heavy lift helicopter carrying a compressor that will aid in work on the East Toe.

2020-03-27-d.jpg

Current in-channel view at the slide site as of March 19, 2020.

http://www.pac.dfo-mpo.gc.ca/pacific-smon-pacifique/big-bar-landslide-eboulement/index-eng.html

Fact they blew up all the boulders on left side is big and plan to do a few more plus east toe again. Good progress (private sector). Wonder what it will look like when done and percentage of natural passage?! Wayyyy better than last year when nothing was done so would think natural passage percentages will be way up?! Curious as to people’s thoughts as not well versed in this area

east toe from overhead view looks key to get rid of. Once the roads in are gone too that will widen the area significantly and reduce the speed and waterfall.

Fact they blew up all the boulders on left side is big and plan to do a few more plus east toe again. Good progress (private sector). Wonder what it will look like when done and percentage of natural passage?! Wayyyy better than last year when nothing was done so would think natural passage percentages will be way up?! Curious as to people’s thoughts as not well versed in this area

east toe from overhead view looks key to get rid of. Once the roads in are gone too that will widen the area significantly and reduce the speed and waterfall.

It depends on a lot of factors, although all these things are positive, I wouldnt hang my hat on any of it until we have some evidence.

I'll be a bit happier when I see a high water fishway installed.

Although great progress was made this will unlikely be “fixed” completely after this winter. At least not until the fish passage rates and river discharges can be monitored this year and even the following year. People should prepare themselves to see this as a multi year endeavour rather than a fix over a few months. Fishways need to be monitored also to see if they are actually doing what they were intended to do instead of being an obstacle themselves. The cool weather may delay freshet and allow work to continue longer, but the potential downside could be large river discharges at the time CUs like they Early Stuart Sockeye start arriving in the Fraser Canyon which could present an obstacle to migration. We will see...

Rebecca Reid pretty much said that a month ago in her grilling by FOPO.

a late frashet is a worst case scenario, It wasent that long ago that a late frashet was even a bad case for hells gate. I think thats what has me really worried is now there is going to be two hells gate like obstacles. are we asking to much of these fish?

It’s funny that people think a late freshet is anytime after May now....
Peak freshet used to always happen end of June and always coincided with the highest numbers of springs through the Lower Fraser.

However I do agree that the last thing these fish need is any extra strain on them at this point, especially when every single one is needed on the spawning grounds. Let’s hope a miracle happens and they are able to make it past this year!

I am also hoping the helicopters transporting the fish happens weeks if not months earlier to start transporting the springs, rather than recapturing mature fish that are spilling singles and just get washed back through back through cause they have no strength left.

Last edited:
April 3 2020

Ongoing onsite operations
This week, the “nature-like” fishway on the west side of the Big Bar landslide area was completed. This fishway is constructed of boulders that are approximately 2 metres in diameter, the positioning and spacing of which will allow fish to pass through the slide area at a range of flow levels.

To augment the “nature-like” fishway, work is now underway on infrastructure required for a future pneumatic fish pump. This system will help minimize delays to fish passage and reduce stress to fish from handling. The work includes both the development of a staging area downstream of the slide and the construction of a concrete block fish ladder to guide fish to a holding pool. The Province of British Columbia’s River Forecast Centre predicts low water levels over the coming days. Prime contractor Peter Kiewit Sons ULC is working to complete critical in-water work like the installation of concrete blocks during this window.

On March 29, a blast of a rock outcrop at the north end of the East Toe resulted in a noticeable improvement to the water flow. This blast also exposed additional rock, which was subsequently drilled and blasted.

Crews are working to reduce the grade of the overland access road to make the route to the slide area more accessible for trucks and the potential transport of fish, if needed.

Finally, the Big Bar Ferry will launch its service for the season on April 7. However, with the evolving COVID-19 situation, Kiewit continues to restrict site access that is not critical to the current project scope.

The March 24th issue of the Information Bulletin referenced a “mass of slide debris situated elsewhere in the river”. To clarify, this debris is part of the Big Bar landslide initially reported on June 23, 2019. This large volume of slide debris lies north of the narrow canyon in an area difficult to access for hydrographic surveying. Details of the mass were unknown until recently when work to better understand the condition of the river bottom was completed upstream. The volume of slide debris that entered the river means that not all the material obstructing fish passage can be reached before high water arrives. We are currently studying the narrow canyon to determine the best approach before work resumes this fall.

2020-04-03-a.jpg

An aerial of the “nature-like” fishway, which was completed this week on the west side of the slide site.

2020-04-03-b.jpg

Blasting of the north outcrop of the East Toe on March 29 2020

2020-04-03-c.jpg

Crews putting the final touches on the “nature-like” fishway, which was completed last week.

I'm looking forward to see how that fish way will work in high water. But yeah, good to see what has been accomplished.

Uhhhhh....the Fraser is very very poweful.
I can see all those rocks being gone after freshet.

I would of hope they brought in a hydrology engineer and did some of those calculations so that would not happen. It wouldn't surprise me tho if they did not

Well, I suspect the water level could rise 40' in that spot, given the right freshet conditions ... we will see how it works I guess. At least it's an attempt.

Back