River Journal 09/12/2018

The point being made by many is that the stamp is a “hatchery system”, and more importantly has been for a very long time such that the genetic faults of hatchery fish are part of the population whether folks like it, or not. The population of steelhead is intentionally enhanced, by producing and stocking those hatchery fish, for the primary purpose of allowing harvest. So to say it is unethical for another angler to follow the regs and harvest fish that were reared and stocked for the purpose of recreational harvest is ignorant at best.

I’d also say there is an equally valid argument to be made that any angler fishing a system that supports any remnant population of wild steelhead or salmon, catches a hatch-job and releases it to potentially weaken the genetics of the wild population is the unethical one.

But rather than be douches and impose your personal ethics on me, or me on you, why don’t we all just comply with the regs and fish in the manner that reflects our personal values and leave it at that?

Gil, again, love your posts and love seeing dead hatchery fish! Keep the posts, reports and pics coming!

Cheers!

Ukee

The main take on this thread is, it is nice to see the Stamp, Somass, Sproat system with some fish again especially considering how lean it has been in recent years. Re hatchery fish, I am not a fish eater so I seldom keep hatchery fish but hatchery fish are raised to be harvested. Keep em, or release em, who cares.

River Journal Nov. 29, 2018

The rivers are swollen. One did have some access but the fish were blown out and who knows where they are now. We did give it a good try but we quit by 10 am. It's going to be at least another two days with no rain if that's possible to see any drop. Might even have to wait till mid next week. The good thing is all the fallen debris hugging the shore is now swept clear. But then a new one can also appear.

Thanks for all the support members!

River Journal Nov. 29, 2018

The rivers are swollen. One did have some access but the fish were blown out and who knows where they are now. We did give it a good try but we quit by 10 am. It's going to be at least another two days with no rain if that's possible to see any drop. Might even have to wait till mid next week. The good thing is all the fallen debris hugging the shore is now swept clear. But then a new one can also appear.

Thanks for all the support members!
Falls pool when it’s blown.

I wished the Cowichan still have the hatchery too. I really noticed the later months that the lack of fresh fish. Used to get lots fresh hatchery fish in March and April. The wild population in March and April have been depressed last few years.

I heard One of the main reason they pulled the hatchery program on the Cowichan is due to the majority of angles not keeping hatchery fish, thus they decided to allocate their funds to lakes instead.

Good report as always Treblig. Keep those reports and pics coming.

You are within your rights to bonk allocated hatchery fish.

Late report
River Journal December 6

I hesitated to go with the temperature at -5 this morning at the house. I promised though to take my buddy who has never landed a steelhead. this will be his third year. We decided to go later in the day arriving at his home around 8:30 and take our time driving. On our travels, it was a good call to go slow as we saw a spin out of two vehicles on the opposite side of the highway. Finally arriving at the river around 10 am it was only minus 1. I really wanted Randy to get his first so I set up his gear and showed how to use the bead and ghost shrimp. After two miss casts, he lost his shrimp so he came out of the hole to regear. I was already set up and he wanted to tie on the shrimp himself so said to go in. You don't have to tell me twice. In I go casting. I make the drift watching the float indicating I was tapping the bottom. Halfway through the drift the float dove under and I set the hook. I felt nothing but the head of the shrimp was gone. I looked at Randy and he was still tying up his set up. I said there one there for you but he said go ahead he wasn't ready. I made sure the float drifted in the same zone. All tensed I made sure I picked up the slack and the float didn't disappoint me as it dove again under water. The full force I set the hook and she was a beautiful doe. I brought the Lucky Strike Bait works rubber net this time so the catch and release ones would be in good shape to survive another day. We landed it safely and Randy was ready to go in and the same thing happens to him. He had a bite but only the tail was left so oozing guts he threw the remainder back in. Turned out to be a fantastic day as we hooked into 6 and landed them all safely. His smile was all my reward other than he could not stop talking with excitement. This is why I love being a mentor.

Attachments

• PC050015.jpeg
    PC050015.jpeg
    717.6 KB · Views: 57
  • PC050008.jpeg
    PC050008.jpeg
    1,019.7 KB · Views: 57
Last edited:
Late report
River Journal December 07, 2018
The day started much colder than the previous outing. I was leaving the house at minus 6 and the weather report showed the river was minus 4. Randy wanted to go so again we took our time driving and eventually arrived at the river. I am not sure at what temperature the steelhead get lethargic but it was very cold. Ice forming on the rod guides making the slip knots to travel through them difficult. My fingertips even with gloves were hurting from the cold. After an hour on the first hole, I left Randy to venture up the river. No luck at every hole so I venture back to Randy and he actually landed one. Very nice doe. That was the only fish for the day.

Attachments

• PC060024.jpeg
    PC060024.jpeg
    503.4 KB · Views: 52
Back