Rich get Richer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ImDone4

On CKNW this morning Jill Bennett and a guest were stateing the last fish processing plant in Prince Rupert has closed down. All fish now have to be shipped to Alaska. Wowza. If this is accurate you have to wonder whos sitting at the table for negotiations.
Also she Claimed that a fellow by the name of Pattison owns 82% of our BC Halibut and Herring fishery quota. Double wowza.
Ive heard theres a guy by the name of Pattison thats supported a few charities in BC......by the tune of Millions. For that good on him but.....Saying that if he owns this huge amount of Quota......what has he put back into the fishery?
Just wondering why the rich get richer off the backs of fellow citizens while our fisheries and our share get less and less?

Rough waters ahead for sure.

Jim Pattison is one of the wealthiest Canadians. His group owns a ton of stuff to vertically integrate his Overwaitea Food Group stores.

He also is big in the auto dealership and billboard advertising. I have never liked his business practices. Quite greedy in my opinion and could give back way more.

I don’t know the man at all of course but I have done a fair amount of reading on him. He states that now and even before he was wealthy, and he is self made he is no trust fund baby. But he states that since he started out he has always given 10% of his income to charity. I see no reason to doubt him.

How much do you give, do you give 10% of your income away. It’s his, he earned it no one gave it to him, good on him, I hope he makes a **** pile more.

For the life of me I don’t understamd why people dislike the wealthy, why does it bother some so much. It’s a free country go get rich if you want, dont be mad at people that did or figured out how to. Doesn’t bother me in the least. They employ me, they allow me to make a decent living they create industry. Thank you I appreciate it very much sir. The same opportunities are there for me to do the same if I want. So why should it bother me.

I have no problem with wealthy people. They are also the people that employ me. For me it's all about how you do it and how you take care of the employees that helped you get where you are.

Fare enough dradons. There are definitely crooks out there and people that fell in to it and don’t necessarily deserve it. But you have to agree there are a lot of people out there especially this day and age that just have a hate on for the weathly regardless of the situation it’s just because they are rich. I also think that regardless of the wealthy person there are those that are going to either assume or say that they made it by being crooked. Being wealthy and managing that kind of wealth one certainly has to be some what shrewd and maybe step on some toes on the way up, that’s business. As in the case of Jim Pattison, there are lots of rumours out there, and assumptions but that I know of the man has never done anything illegal. A little tight maybe but he has lots of loyal people working for him. He has given a crap load of money away.

Remember the next time you go to a major hospital in the lower mainland. Jimmy Patterson donates a lot to the hospitals. Both Vancouver and surrey have pavilions named after him. At least he donates when is the last time you heard of gaylon Weston ( riches man in Canada) donate anything in bc

Point of thread.
For one that has taken so much out of the fishery, and continues year after year, and helped to make him richer than rich, while we get less and less......
What has he DONE for the fishery. What has he done for Sustainability? Like many a many volunteers helping our fish year after year, but we get dick for doing it.
Maybe he will fish himself to zero too but i really doubt it.

My partner is employed by JP. Treated very well. I wonder how many fishermen/women and " volunteers helping our fish" are employed by him in jobs that pay well enough to have the time to volunteer.

Last edited:
I have no problem with a smart or hard working man/woman to become wealthy. Wealthy enough to live super comfortable and have some perks. What I find totally out of balance in our world is HOW rich some people get and HOW they get there. I see no problem with a top surgeon making 5 or even 10 times what a mechanic makes. I also agree that the US president makes half a million or so. A Bill Gates may as well rack up a few millions for his genius. A top sportler or artist deserves some extra for special talent or skill. But please tell me why the heck a mediocre bank manager makes 50 or 100 times than a hard and shift working nurse? Or a CEO of some ****** company more in a week than his hard working tech in a year? And when the CEO runs the company into bankruptcy he still walks away with bonuses that are higher than a lifetime salary for most? This whole system is so out of balance that it breeds unrest inevitably and ruins our society. The fruit of the general labour needs to be distributed more evenly or this rich and poor divide will become explosive as human history has shown over and over again. No one needs billions and no one deserves billions, no one!

Last edited:
index.php

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back