RIB Repairs??

DuroBoat

I recently bought a 11' AVON RIB from a rather dishonest individual that keeps his sailboat at the Oak Bay Marina. He swore that it had no leaks and had not pumped it up in over a year. Two weeks after bringing it home, its flat. Why are people so dishonest? Ive always thought these was some comradeship between boaters...

Is it worth fixing and who works on rigid inflatables? I know AVON is a good manufacturer (Hypalon - not PVC) and it has a good fiberglass hull. I was planning as using it as a emergency tender for our long cruses around the gulf islands but dont want anything that will require constant maintenance..

Anyone have any experience with RIBs or know who can repair them?

pm or email sharphooks. He has a fleet of Avons and likely knows the routine for patching.

You cam mix a bit of soap into a spray bottle full of water, then spray it where you thing the leak might be. I'd start with the inflation valve area then the "cones" at the stern end of the tubes. Net do the seams or any area that looks damaged.
Replacing the valves/cones is best left to a pro. If patching on your own, be sure to use the proper glue.

Is the whole boat flat or just 1 side?

The most common source of leaks is the valves. The rubber gaskets can deteriorate or you can get sand/grit on them so it does not seal properly. Try cleaning the rubber seal, inflate, and then put some soapy water on them to see if leaking.
Air temperature has a big effect on inflation too. In the daytime sun then can be nice and firm and then go soft in the cool morning.

I recently bought a 11' AVON RIB from a rather dishonest individual that keeps his sailboat at the Oak Bay Marina. He swore that it had no leaks and had not pumped it up in over a year. Two weeks after bringing it home, its flat. Why are people so dishonest? Ive always thought these was some comradeship between boaters...

Is it worth fixing and who works on rigid inflatables? I know AVON is a good manufacturer (Hypalon - not PVC) and it has a good fiberglass hull. I was planning as using it as a emergency tender for our long cruses around the gulf islands but dont want anything that will require constant maintenance..

Anyone have any experience with RIBs or know who can repair them?

Bob @ Pacific Coast Liferafts, off Lampson.... will take care of you, knows what he is doing with this sort of thing.

Vector Marine in Sidney is the go to place for inflatable work. I have taken my boat there, as have two of my other friends. They also helped another buddy of mine remove the tubes from his hull while he did some major repairs on his hull. Then they gave him a lot of guidance and great advice when they sold him all the products needed to reflux the tubes to the repaired hull. I have sent lots of people there and they all have great feedback. Give them a call.

The most common source of leaks is the valves. The rubber gaskets can deteriorate or you can get sand/grit on them so it does not seal properly. Try cleaning the rubber seal, inflate, and then put some soapy water on them to see if leaking.
Air temperature has a big effect on inflation too. In the daytime sun then can be nice and firm and then go soft in the cool morning.

This is very good advice! Per SR's advice, inflate the raft so it's rock hard. Then mix a bit of dish soap (a few drops) with water in a spray bottle. Spray direct into the valve openings---if you see bubbles, you have a valve leak----go to a marine supply store and purchase a bottle of 303 Aerospace Protectant--- spray the 303 into the valve opening(s), place a rag over the opening, then depress the valve stem several times to allow air to escape. Inflate the raft again, repeat with additional 303 Protectant, and depress the stem with a rag over the opening (so you don't get 303 in your eyes...)

Next, take your spray bottle of soap and water and spray both pontoons. Do this in small increments, so you're methodical. Cover every square centimeter of pontoon-----The seller who swore his raft had no leaks might not have been fiddling you afterall----he might not been aware of some pin-hole sized leaks (or seeping valves)

IF you find leaks, mark them with a pen. Once you've gone over the ENTIRE inflatable raft with the spray bottle and found your leaks, purchase a hypalon repair kit ( hypalon patches + hypalon glue).

Do not use glue specific to PVC---you want true hypalon glue (such as Bostik makes) that is specific to DuPont Hypalon. Mercury/Quicksilver make such a repair kit---eBay has them

Rule of thumb: cut patches into circles; allow at least 4 to 5 cm of patch material around (beyond ) the hole/tear/pin hole etc you're trying to patch

Mark the area to be sanded on the pontoon---sand just enough to remove the hypalon "sheen" on the pontoon and the sheen of the patch (no more then that---too much sanding = no good) Wipe off pontoon and patch with acetone, then follow directions on glue tube---generally, one thin coat, let dry, one more thin coat, then apply while still tacky and apply pressure to keep air bubbles from forming

I have piles of Avon patch material----if you need patches, PM me

good luck

Back