Reversing a Diawa mooching reel

Vintagehooker

Hi all, looking for info on how to switch up a Diawa 175,270 mooching reel to a right hand retrieval. Searched the web but not much info to be had.
I thought one could just spin the reel around and respool but dont think the drag/clicker would work proper.
Anyone help me out with this?
Thx

Morning,
You have to change over the line guide to the opposite side and then you will have to open the
reel and reverse the drag clicker and pawl and possible the gear to the the other side.
I have done this to all of my mooching reels from the early peetz reels and also the diawa's and mitchell 782's.
Let me know if this helps. I may have some schematics that you can look at.

update: looking at the schematic for the older daiwa reels the only thing you have to do is change the line guide to the opposite side, the pawl and gears remain the same.

Hi all, looking for info on how to switch up a Diawa 175,270 mooching reel to a right hand retrieval. Searched the web but not much info to be had.
I thought one could just spin the reel around and respool but dont think the drag/clicker would work proper.
Anyone help me out with this?
Thx

Last edited:
Morning, so i just opened my 175 up and i only flipped the pawl over, or clicker that rubs the spring and reassembled.
Not sure if it made any difference, seems to work the same as b4?
Perhaps i do need to flip the gear as well or sm i good to go? Newbie as all can tell..

Hi,
It has been a while since I worked on the older diawa's But looking at the schematics you may have to flip over the gear.
I would really have to see it to know for sure. I don't have any of the older ones just the newer ones that require all the internal
to be flipped to the opposite side.

Morning, so i just opened my 175 up and i only flipped the pawl over, or clicker that rubs the spring and reassembled.
Not sure if it made any difference, seems to work the same as b4?
Perhaps i do need to flip the gear as well or sm i good to go? Newbie as all can tell..

Just going by memory from the 275 s that I had many years ago.

I think all you have to do is is reverse mount it to the reel seat and change the line guide and that is it. The reel body has three holes for the line guide.

Back