Reverse lights on boat trailer

Just so everyone knows, reverse lights on a boat trailer... It can be done. I hardly found any info on it online but when I peeled back the wire wrap by the plug, there was a nice cut off yellow wire just waiting to be tied into. Extended the wire to the back and voila, and yes I made everything waterproof. IMG_20180603_125338_01.jpg

To be honest I don't know why you would want them,they would be so far behind your truck,I wouldn't think they would help much.But can't hurt either.

To be honest I don't know why you would want them,they would be so far behind your truck,I wouldn't think they would help much.But can't hurt either.

more so to let people know he is backing up? other wise if it for vision, might as well hook up small floods on a switch.

2 reasons - people that can't see the tow vehicle know im backing up and usually when we pull in somewhere to camp overnight etc it's getting late, I'd rather have some decent reverse lights than rely on my brake lights to light up trees behind/around the trailer.

Just so everyone knows, reverse lights on a boat trailer... It can be done. I hardly found any info on it online but when I peeled back the wire wrap by the plug, there was a nice cut off yellow wire just waiting to be tied into. Extended the wire to the back and voila, and yes I made everything waterproof. View attachment 38173
Nice. Good extra to have.

When say waterproof did you split any wires like this? :)

Attachments

• ZftMI.jpg
    ZftMI.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 55
Yes I did but i soldered them, used liquid electrical tape and covered them with double walled shrink tube. None of that crimp on junk.

Yes I did but i soldered them, used liquid electrical tape and covered them with double walled shrink tube. None of that crimp on junk.
Nice! I'm impressed. The liquid electrical tape is key IMHO Most people (boat and trailer builders too) seem to think just heat shrink will work but with two wires in one hole it's physically impossible for the heat shrink to seal around both.

Nice! I'm impressed. The liquid electrical tape is key IMHO Most people (boat and trailer builders too) seem to think just heat shrink will work but with two wires in one hole it's physically impossible for the heat shrink to seal around both.
I didn't want to worry about submerging them with the trailer plug still in so I sealed it up tight!

Back