Reusing brine ?

Tips Up

thoughts on brining a batch of salmon to smoke and then using the same brine for a second batch?

Will the salt and sugar properties for curing be sucked up by the first batch?

I wouldn't use it, all the fish juices that are pulled out by the salt in the brine will go into your next batch of
fresh fish, it would also weaken the brine from the moisture that's pulled out of the fish, never tried it maybe
it works.

Exactly.

Fishing is an expensive hobby - but the brine is probably the least expensive of all expenses, so don't cheap out on something that is very cheap to make.

It’s not so much I’m cheap as I am lazy.

I have a batch of candy salmon in brine and a batch of my reg smoke salmon in brines right now.
Going fishing tomorrow and smoking when I get back
Was thinking of throwing tomorrow’s catch in the left over brine because it’s easy.
Might just combine the brines and go for it. Could be new hit flavour!

Gross. Make a new batch of brine. Why risk ruining your fish? Or getting sick. Or making someone else sick.

It’s not so much I’m cheap as I am lazy.

I have a batch of candy salmon in brine and a batch of my reg smoke salmon in brines right now.
Going fishing tomorrow and smoking when I get back
Was thinking of throwing tomorrow’s catch in the left over brine because it’s easy.
Might just combine the brines and go for it. Could be new hit flavour!

If you are lazy, just make one big batch and only use 1/2 at a time, as really - it is the same amount of work as only making a small batch. The good, unused portion of the brine will keep a long time in the fridge.

As others have mentioned, there is a chance of contamination. For me the "ick" factor of reusing the brine that has old fish blood etc in it, would compel me enough to just make a new brine every time.

You guys really think pulling one batch of raw salmon out and adding another in to brine is going to be a problem ?
I've done it several times, never an issue.

I think it is up to each individual person to decide if it is a potential problem or not. For me, I much prefer to use a new brine for new fish.

Use Salmon Brine Once, and Only Once!
Get rid of that brine after it's been used...don't use it a second time. During the brining process, liquid and broken-down proteins are pulled from the flesh as salt, sugar, and flavors enter. What remains has an unknown concentration of salt and sugar, and contains liquid and proteins removed from the salmon...not a very palatable mix. Using fresh brine for each batch insures that you'll end up with high quality smoked salmon from batch to batch.

cross contamination Guys thats just disgusting

Salmon Brining Tips For Great Smoked Salmon

• Don't cross contaminate
  • Don't reuse brine
  • Don't decrease the amount of salt in the brine
  • Do use pickling salt or kosher salt
  • Do keep the brine cold
  • Adjust brining time or rinse time to adjust salt taste
  • Change the amount of sugar to adjust sweetness
anyone in the cooking field will say the same thing throw it out why chance it...

Don't be cheap, salt and sugar aren't that expensive. For one thing the brine isn't going to have the same amount of salt and sugar because what ever you brined has absorbed a good portion of the brine and there's no way of knowing that percentage.

Yikes. My question was pretty simple if you re read it.
You guys need to go smoke some fish...or something and relax.

Thanks wolf. So it does lose properties and there is a food safe issue.

its called cross contamination look it up bud maybe you will learn something,

Why would you chance it? to save 10 bucks on salt and sugar there is a point of being thrifty. and then down right being sanford ....do you split 2 ply toilet paer as well to make it 1 ply LOL LOL?????? . Rule 1 in cooking is never resuse brine has been and always was from a food safe point. may look good but if its been contaminated in any way you cant smell or see bacteria.
You spend THOUSANDS on boat and gear and gas to go get it im sure you have enough to make new brine....
Ask any chef he will tell you the same thing

Last edited:
If you make a brine and soak your fish, some salt/sugar goes into the fish and it removes some liquid.
Second batch of fish goes into the same brine, it absorbs some salt/sugar and also loses some liquid.
But the second batch of fish will not have the same ratio of salt/sugar the first batch did. It’s physically impossible. First batch already removed some. So the curing process would not be the same.

Also, bacteria may not be present in the first batch, or might start growing halfway through your second batch, or maybe not at all. There’s no way to tell. Until you don’t feel good. Or your buddy. Or wife or kid...

Just saying. Lotta research on this on the net.

Personally if it works for you go for it.......I would think the salt/sugar ratio would be so far out in the second batch from what the first batch absorbed and liquid pulled out that I wouldn't bother for the extra 90 seconds it takes to do another brine.

You guys keep up this "debate" and you'll attract the anti-vaxxers, flat earthers and the tin-hat crowd. lol My old Dad used to say that first grade oats is expensive but it's much cheaper once through a horse. Same as "recycled" brine.

I did not bother reusing the brine.
Will have to mix up a new batch though. My first time making candy salmon and it was a huge hit.

If you guys smoked salmon properly you wouldn't have all sorts of leftover brine anyways.

I've made a few batches over the years, most have turned out pretty good.

https://www.sportfishingbc.com/forum/index.php?threads/fresh-off-the-smoker.70121/
I bet if you didn't add the water though you'd cut your brine time in half.

Not that I really care. I'm sure it's delicious, and I'm sure you're a great guy. Yes I'll take some. I'm going back and forth from my desk to the smoker and the reports have gotten somewhat repetitive. I think I'm a little bored. o_O

Back