Restoring teak

I tried to upload a photo but was unable. Basically I’m buying a boat ther has seriously weathered exterior teak trim and railings.

Sand it and use teak cleaner then finish with teak oil. Teak can look absolutely trashed and yet will come back looking as if it were just milled again. Once you get it back...keep it oiled, don't let it dry out.

Another way to do it that should last longer is to scrape,sand and coat with epoxy,light sand again, top coat with a good UV resistant varnish or Varathane.More work for sure and the teak has to be in decent shape under whatever it has on it now.Another option that I like is to get rid of any teak exposed to weather and replace with composite material.Teak can look nice but exterior wood will always require a lot of maintenance.

I washed mine with a stiff brush using a mixture of sunlight dish soap and bleach.
Brush it in well, let it sit for 5 min, then I light pressure wash. Let dry and put on a synthetic teak oil. Re-oil 2-3 times a year. It made the boat look new again.

Unless you can get your teak dried out really well, I don’t recommend a film building finish like Cetol. If you don’t do the application in a heated building, it’s hard to get a finish that’ll last more than a season or two. I have built up a beautiful finish only to have it come off in sheets after a hard frost. I’m not sure about epoxy, but I doubt it’d be much better. Once it starts peeling, it’s a big job to remove all the old finish & start from scratch again.
Oil finishes won’t give you a high gloss shine, but they are much easier to maintain. Teak is very oily & good adhesion is as much a matter of luck as good prep & application technique.
If you choose to use oil, use one designed for teak in a marine environment. Most linseed based oil finishes go ugly black & streaky when exposed to sunlight.
Also... be careful when sanding. It’s easy to cut deep ridges when working around corners & curved areas.
First rule when I bought my current boat... No exterior wood!
Just one opinion, but backed up by a fair amount of experience.

Depends on how your teak was previously finished. There are 2 basic methods of finishing:

Teak Oil

Use a 2 step cleaner/brightener. Re-apply teak oil. Keep re-applying teak oil; often enough so it doest get bad again (every 6 months or so)

Varnish/epoxy type finishes.

Sand/remove old finish. New finish MUST be applied under ideal conditions as mentioned above. Looks great on a brand new boat but looks like **** in a couple of years.

I would do the oil method.

Back