Resource allocation issue will not go away soon - Ralph Shaw

Sushihunter

http://www.bclocalnews.com/vancouver_island_north/comoxvalleyrecord/sports/119439784.html

Resource allocation issue will not go away soon

RESOURCE ALLOCATION will continue to be a contentious issue in the months and years to come.

Comox Valley Record

By Ralph Shaw - Comox Valley Record
Published: April 07, 2011 4:00 PM
Updated: April 07, 2011 4:35 PM

If you have followed the on-going debate about halibut allocation in the recreational fishing community you could be lulled into the false impression that resource allocation is a narrow issue that involves few people. The truth of the matter is, it is anything but confined and will become one of the most contentious issues of modern society.

Allocation becomes an issue when non-renewable or renewable resources become scarce or are perceived to be scare. With the on-going development of a growing number of super-rich people scouring the world for exclusive places to enjoy their special interests, allocation of British Columbia's and Canada's special recreational resource will be a growing issue.

In a recent conversation I had with a new resident to Vancouver Island the discussion went along these lines. In answering my question of why they moved to the Island, he responded as follows: "Before deciding to move here my wife and I travelled all over the world and we decided this is the best place to live." He was not a politician running around broadcasting how wonderful it was, he was a serious, recent resident who moved here because he wanted his share of the allocation of one of the most desirable places on Earth to live.

If you doubt this view, look around you in the Comox Valley and you will see much construction and a crowded collection of moving vans near the railway crossing on Cumberland Road in Courtenay.

If you wonder about reallocation of scarce resources think about the reallocation of forest lands on the west coast of Vancouver Island where working forests were removed from the forest so they could be sold to individuals who wanted to develop private homes and businesses that restricted public access to the coastline.

It is a classic case of reallocating the enchanting beauty and splendor of the open west coast of the Vancouver Island in the Port Renfrew area from the general public to the private enjoyment of those who can afford the cost of acquiring access.

In a recent paper given to the executive of the British Columbia Wildlife Federation (BCWF), Darlene Clark, chairperson of BCWF Wildlife Committee, made the following points when addressing Provincial Wildlife Allocation Review:

"It is extremely important that you speak to your MLA as a constituent and resident hunter – this is not about the BCWF, but your own harvest opportunities. You as an individual want the 2007 Provincial Wildlife Allocation Policy implemented as had been committed by the government."

"The new policy was to be open, transparent and consistent in application for everyone!"
"NO more backroom deals."

"Allocations is not a simple issue, one needs to have a clear understanding of the benefits to all residency groups."

"Residents are supposed to have priority access to the wildlife resource."

"The food, social impacts, and economic impacts to B.C. citizens."

The paper was extensive and its purpose was to express concern for the impacts of allocation policies on over 95,000 resident hunters and their families.

I have recently watched the allocation of two enchantingly beautiful views on Spider Lake to the development of exclusive mansions overlooking Spider Lake Provincial Park in what will always be a natural forest scene of special West Coast beauty.

I am not certain there is much wrong with this use of beautiful places, but in these cases they are now behind large "No Trespass" signs and seem to be rarely occupied.

In my discussions with friends throughout the province it appears these mansions are being built in many wild places where Crown land is removed from the public domain for such development. In such cases I submit we must safeguard the right of public access to our beautiful places, which will become an increasingly complicated issue of allocation of the access to our sacred places of beauty and wilderness.

We are in the midst of a federal election and there are rumours of major changes in the allocation of the seafood resources of the coastal waters of British Columbia. In future columns I will address the implications of such reallocations on the residents of Canada. In the meantime, allocation of renewable and non-renewable resources is a complex affair about which we must demand accountability from politicians who would govern us.

Ralph Shaw is a master fly fisherman who was awarded the Order of Canada in 1984 for his conservation efforts. In 20 years of writing a column in the Comox Valley Record it has won several awards.

Back