Repowering

Whitebuck

Going to be repowering my 17.5 ft boat with a 115hp. Would love to hear everybody's input on which engine to buy. Will not be buying used. Want the piece of mind of new.
Thx

Looking at a 115 repower myself this year or next Right now I have Honda thinking of Yamaha or Suzuki for my repower I've always been a yam guy but hearing lots of great stuff about Suzuki

Yah the 140 would definitely up and move and I don't think there is a huge weight difference between 115 and 140

Yah the 140 would definitely up and move and I don't think there is a huge weight difference between 115 and 140

Just make sure your 17’ boat is rated for that many ponies. I had a 17’welded boat before that was rated for 85 hp and a 115 really put the centre of gravity off. Also don’t want to risk your insurance company coverage if ever an issue.

I had a 115 Honda on a Malibu 182. Great motor and really quiet but the only complaint in 2003 was weight. I honestly haven’t looked at Honda’s lately to see if they have been like most manufactures and put their 4 strokes on a diet...lol. I was in SG Power making the final decision on a kicker after buying twin Yamaha 150’s. The 115 is a great motor but from what I hear the 140 has been excellent too. Probably not A bad choice either way for a 17’ .....have fun!

Last edited:
Most new four strokes are very comparable for weight, power, reliability, ect...

I found Checkpoint Yamaha a hassle to deal as oppose to Inlet marine. The marine resources at reed point make DIY work easy as well. This was a major factor for me in going w/ Mercs. I'm running twin 2015 F150's right now and love them.
Good Luck.

Just about to do the same on my 17SR. Decided to go new with the Yami 115 based on suggestions here. Also decided to install/rig myself, which I suspect will save me a couple grand. Interesting to hear about Checkpoint as I've enjoyed chatting with their 75 year old sales guy Charlie, he seems awesome! Now I'll have to do some more investigation about Reed Point....

When repowering this spring, weight was one of the important factors in deciding which motor to buy. My boat was built before four strokes were as common as today. It had a 125 Merc installed but was rated for a maximum of 175 hp. I checked out the average weight of several late 90's 175 hp 2 strokes & used that as my maximum target weight.
You could apply the same principal to help with your choice.
I needed more than 115 hp, so the Suzuki 140 was really the only 4 stroke that was close.
You should have more choice in the 115 hp range, as the weights (IIRC) were much closer from one brand to another.
I also read a bunch of consumer reports & talked to every O/B tech I could find.
In the end, it's your decision, so do as much research as you can.
(If I was looking for a 115, the ETEC would have been on the list too.)
Just my 2 cents worth of free advice

Back