Repowering with Twins, Yammi or Suzy?

Once you've had black you never go back. lol :cool:

Had good service from Breakers/Suzuki since 2006. Good support and they do stand behind the product when things go wrong...and every engine manufacturer has issues that bite them at times. Its how they respond when those things happen that separates the men from the boys. I had a very bad experience in the 90's from Merc, and their attitude dealing with me was horrible. Basically told me that as a commercial operator I had no warranty even though the engine had less than 100 hours on it. Their attitude was we own the market on the west coast and don't much care what a few guides think of our product. Well, I figure in all those years I've probably told a few thousand people what crapy service looks like. So out of principle I can't even look at a merc product...which I'm sure are just as good as anyone else. Attitude and support service is what really matters.

My experience dealing with RPM in Tofino (and now they are also in Port) is the complete opposite. They got me warranty on a blown powerhead 2 months after my warranty had expired and got me back on the water so fast i only missed 1 charter (the only 1 missed in dealing with them for over 20 years). Never been treated better and love my Merc Optis! Yes, i will switch to the new 4 strokes once they are worn out but that won't be for a couple more years.

Building a good relationship with your dealer is super important if you are interested in being taken care of properly.

Diesel isn't really an option.

Yamaha or Suzuki, neither has a dealer in Tofino where I am all summer. Suzy is in Bamfield & Port (Breakers, and I've had good experience with them), Yamaha in Port. In Vancouver where it winters there are both.

Right now I'm leaning towards Suzy, mostly because of the great experience I have with the Suzy I have on my other boat; DF 140 that has been flawless to close to 500 hours.

That being said, both my kickers are HT Yammis; an 8 and a 9.9 that have run better and better the more hours they have on them. Found both vibrated more when they were newer.

What concerns me a bit about the Suzy's is that they are "new" in their lineup.

The Yamaha's are a tad lighter.

Bad experiences with Merc keep me away from that brand for now, although I don't have any really recent experience with Mercs so may just be my historical bias...

So you plan on hauling your boat over to Port for service or if you have a problem? Not my favourite road for dragging a big boat

Love my Suzukis, have 4 now, twins on 2 boats. One set I have 1400 hours with a hiccup besides basic maintenance, the other set I just bought, they have 230 hours on them. A friend of mine has a set with over 3000 hours on them, again besides basic maintenance and one lower end issue he is still using them.

I think that is amazing, recreationally how would you ever put 3000 on an engine, have them for life.

On another note, I like the black, looks bad butt.

Best of luck in your decision

Cheers

I have a suzuki 225 and it's been great so far. It's got 420 hours on it. The **** stream hitting the water is louder than the motor most of the time . One thing I like is that so far I've found it very easy to maintain myself.

Obliviously, you have never been to southeast asia or down under? LOL

They have been making diesel outboards, FOR YEARS! If you haven't seen a diesel outboard - Just Google "Yamaha diesel outboard"! LOL

:)

Ok factually they make a motor that runs on every flammable liquid known to mankind.
You got me intrigued where can I buy one?

So you plan on hauling your boat over to Port for service or if you have a problem? Not my favourite road for dragging a big boat

I was more thinking running to Bamfield on one engine should I develop an issue in one. Service same or back in Van. Service is once a year for me at most. If I have to worry about hauling my boat with both engines down, it's probably not happening as a result of sitting at the dock, so please come get me if anyone hears me calling. Now I'm thinking Sat phone.

Building a good relationship with your dealer is super important if you are interested in being taken care of properly.

Absolutely. I have been dealing with the RPM group for just over a year now and have nothing but good things to say. From getting my motor dialed in and boat ready to go 2 shootouts ago to stealth dropping oil off on the side of the highway on a Sunday for me to pick up while out at the Beach. TC had issues with his boat 2 shootouts ago on a weekend and Stephan offered to meet him at the boat ramp with the shop trailer, haul his boat to the shop, and take care of it personally on the spot. Great service IMO.

200hp Suzuki vs Yamaha go Suzuki

The new Yami 200's look great but they are pretty new on the market I would go Suzuki 200's as they been out for sometime and from what I've seen they are a good motor.

I think the OP is talking about the new inline 4 cylinder 200 that Suzuki just came out with. It is newer than than the Yamaha but built to compete directly with it. Nice looking motor with slightly larger displacement than the Yamaha. Here is the link.

http://www.suzuki.ca/?q=en/node/567

Last edited by a moderator:
Another positive experience with RPM. I had a Honda kicker that had a broken tilt mechanism. They really could not offer me much for immediate repair without parts, but had a guy help me with a few tools and we removed it and made it workable for the weekend.

Which was that? Link takes me to a select language page.
On Merc I can only find the Verado in 200hp four stroke.

Funny that link works for me. They are actually 150 hp non Verado 4 strokes with the same displacement as the new Suzuki 200. Google Merc 4 strokes i guess

Thanks, but 200s is the minimum for the twins. Would rather have 225s or 250s, but weight limitations keep me to the 200s.

Oddly, saw a Kingfisher Dealer Program list that had twin engines (Verado 250s) that exceeded the Transom Max limit by quite a bit, with just the engines before anything else.

I think twin 150's would be plenty and probably save several thousands of dollars on the repower vs 200's. 5000lbs isn't heavy for twin 150's if it was a glass boat you would want the extra hp for the added weight. But twin 200's would be nice when throughing down the hammer on the way into the harbour mouth probably have a pretty nice top speed. Twin 200's will smoke one 350 all the way around handling, top speed maneuverability etc. Good luck in your selection there's lots of great options out there.

I'm sure you'll be happy whichever way you go but i will add those guys with the Mercs are running 7000 lb Gradys (2000 lbs heavier than your boat) and the performance is really impressive.

I have just repowered my 2802 with twin Suzuki 250 hp engines. I only have 10 hrs on them but a few early observations, they are quiet, real quiet, the loudest noise is coming from the pisser. I did get throttle by wire controls and they take some getting used to. No resistance from cables so throttle is real touchy. These engines are quieter than the twin 150hp E-TECS I had on my previous boat. I wanted to go four strokes this time , so the choices were Suzuki, Yamaha and Mercury. The Mercury quote I got was not in the ballpark of the other two. In addition they are heavy. I have had real poor experiences with two Yamaha 150 hp engines on my work boat. The first one had two lower units replaced under warrany and then had the power head corrode from inside the water jacket at 700hrs. Yamaha told me to go f*$k myself as it was 6 months out of warranty. Never again for me, I hope I have better luck with the Suzukis, so far so good

The Yamaha F200B has been around a year or two, and was developed from the F150. The Suzuki DF200A is new for this season, and based upon the DF175 which has been well regarded for a long time, having the same outstanding reputation as the DF140.

Either choice is likely sound, but if established long term reliability is the goal, I'd install a pair of Suzuki DF175's. I'd bet great pricing could be found on a pair of these.

Every comment about dealer relationship being the most important, is good advice.

Happy DF140A owner.

Back