REPOWER Options

Arjento

Hey Guys,

Looking to re-power my 18.5 DE Boat. It currently has a 2 stroke 115 on it and the transom from my level of inexperience seems to be in good shape. The boat is a 1994. Anyhow there are so many different options now to look at. The ones I'm looking at are all big brand names but need to know your experiences or opinions on them. There are two routes wait for camp returns or take advantage of the summer sales on brand new ones. Price is obvious so please just the experiences good or bad on the motors no need to comment on price. Warranty on the other hand I'd love to here experiences on Warranty if any good and bad.

Models NOT in order of priority:

Mercury 4 stroke 115 (the motor released in June 2014 has a weight of like 359lbs but I don't know that any dealers in Victoria have it yet)

Yamaha f115 (why is it so hard to find on camp return in a long leg)

Suzuki 115 (same weight at the 140)

Suzuki 140

Thanks again guys for all the knowledge and advice in advance

PS: is it true that if I go from 2 stroke to 4 stroke I won't need to power as high? ie. from my 115 a salesmen told me I could go to a 90 in the 4 stroke and it would be just as much power.

I have a 16 foot DE with a 90 horse 4 stroke and it's plenty of power for the 16 but an 18.5 is like double the boat and I highly doubt it would be enough. I'm guessing there are other 18.5 owners here that will have an opinion though.

I think most people on here will tell you to go with lots of power. Out of your options I would pick the suzuki 140 .

PS: is it true that if I go from 2 stroke to 4 stroke I won't need to power as high? ie. from my 115 a salesmen told me I could go to a 90 in the 4 stroke and it would be just as much power.

That sales man would worry me. Going from a two stroke to 4 stroke I would think you need to go up in Power as the 4 stroke is going to be heavier and will give you less holeshot and 2 strokes generally have more get up and go . Great topic I want to repower my trophy this year I want to go from my 135hp opti to a 200hp Yamaha or 175hp zuki

In my experience 4 strokes have less power then 2 strokes. I have a 17.5 double eagle and would never put a 90hp on it never mind on your 18.5 double. I think you would regret it big time. If you have the cash that boat needs a 150hp but I love extra power. Your missing the motor I would recommend Etec for me all the way. I would repower with a 150hp etec but to answer your question on your list it's the Suzuki 140hp.

I've read online the opposite, that if you go from 2 to 4 stroke, it's recommended to go for more HP as the 4 doesn't output as much torque at lower rpms. This is why people say a 2 stroke of equivalent HP will get you up on the plane more quickly than a 4. It is possible that the newer, lighter, 4 stroke designs have overcome this though?

really do like the idea of etech but have my heart set on the 4 strokes. I just don't want to be filling the reservoir at all with oil. Also who is the etech support in Victoria? From DE they told me no more than 150 on my boat that's max for my hull and year. In the current setup with a 2 stroke 115. I reach at 45-5000 rpm a gps speed of 50ish kph. I'm plenty happy with that mind you the 140 might get me up bit faster :) not sure how much. As for maintenance I don't mind doing the winterizing etc. I don't know what peoples thoughts are on that but I went into boating with the impression to protect my "investment" (that's loosely used) that I would have maintenance to do whether I got out 10 times or 100 times in a season. Clean clean clean and motor maintenance I personally believe is just part of the experience. Then get in the house and change the kiddo's diapers cause I was fishing all morning and afternoon.

Fished Tofino last week with a friend who's just repowered his 18.5 DE with a Suzuki 140. Lots of get up and go. Nice and quiet as well.
Dave

I had the 18.5 Double Eagle as well, it started off with a 115 2 stroke, not too bad, but the more loaded up I was with guys, gear and beer the slower she got. Switched to a 150 4 stroke and definitely noticed the extra weight in the back end but never felt short of power again. On your list, no question the Suzuki 140, everyone I know with a Suzuki loves it.

I had a Campion 542 (18.5') with a 115 Merc 4 stroke. Definitely underpowered. Folks that bought the boat from me just upgraded to a 150 4 stroke and are delighted with the performance increase. I'm with Beaudog - go with the Suzuki 140 on your list.

Some shops should have Camp F150's this fall, and long-legs shouldn't be that rare. IMO if the motor you have is running okay, I'd keep running it. These are big dollar upgrades and even if you had the cash it could be better spent (or saved). Unless you are running far each time you use the boat the savings in gas aren't worth it. Of course you may have other considerations (noise, reliability, etc) and I get that.

That said, if you are set on it I would definitely suggest the Yamaha F150 or Suzuki 140. Will go like a bat out of hell!

P.S. 2-Stroke vs. 4-Stroke shouldn't change anything. If both motors are rated a 115HP, and are running the same prop, it should be damn similar, outside of slightly different gear ratios and bottom end differences.

Last edited by a moderator:
Go with the Suzuki 140. Very reasonable price compared to any 150 and a rock solid motor. I'd buy one in a minute. That being said, my current boat has a Yamaha 150 and I really like it. But $4500 for 10 hp is way to much.

So seems like most here are leaning towards Japanese, of the yamaha and suzuki what issues are there. In my research I've seen longer wait time for parts on suzuki, corrosion problems with both, and poor warranty service compared to American for both

I believe it's been said before, but it's important to have good dealer support.
I would lean towards whichever brand can offer it.
If you have an issue you will be happy to have a good reputable vendor who will look
after any problems.

For what it's worth, I'm on my 10th season with a Honda 4 stroke....
great motors !

http://marine.honda.ca/large-motors/BF135

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks guys for the advice. Looks like it's gonna be a suzuki 140 when I'm absolutely ready (I'm ready right now but some emergencies have come up so $$$ will be on hold for bit) I'd still like to hear experiences and advice regardless. IE. any issues that have arisen in the past 5 years of motors and how it was handled at the dealers etc.

Mines a 79 but a podded conversion and the 150 that blew up could barley cut the mustard. We'll be going to a 225. Could be the older ones are heavier due to construction but we could definitely use another 75hp. I know the outboard 185's are only rated to 150 which seems silly because the 175 is rated the same.

I don't know but I can only assume, the hulls are very similar and transoms are same thickness between 175 and 185 I can only assume that's why they are rated the same. I think for my boat they just extended it a foot to accommodate the cuddy and took out of floor space at the back for fishing. Just my observations.

Back