Replacing rollers on highliner trailer, starboard on bunks

nicnat

I have a half bunk half roller trailer, I'm about to replace the rollers, most of which are kinda seized, any tricks or easy way to get the end caps off would be appreciated.

I'm also going to put some starboard on the bunks and I was looking at the composite deckboards at rona and home depot, they are solid and almost 1" thick pvc composite, they are cheaper and more easily accessible than the starboard, anyone use these on their bunks or can anyone think of any reason why not to use them instead of starboard. my boat is aluminum and I can't really see that there would be any kind of chemical or galvanic problems associated with this product like there can be with the treated wood bunks.

the trailer is actually a roadrunner not a highliner

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey Nicnat, I think the composite boards would work. The only potential problem I can think of is that they do have wood in them. I have seen composite decks where moisture gets into them and causes black mold spots which can't be cleaned, so possibly the wood may break down and boards may flake a bit. I would try it, let us know how it works. I just pry end caps off with a big screwdriver.

GnB

Not starboard .Get the UHMW its worth extra money and its way better than PVC especially in wear. Redwood plastics can I think sell you the cut strips..UHMW is very accessible to find. Industrial plastics is expensive but they carry it as well..

thanks guys, i got the UHMW for the bunks and will tackle the rollers as soon as I get the boat off the trailer for a day.

Back