replacing carpet with vinyl

Sea Nymph

I was thinking of tearing the carpet on my boat and putting in vinyl flooring. Has anyone done this and did you use marine vinyl or regular vinyl? What was the cost approx?

E-mail Addiced He ripped up his vinyl and I helped him put down a colored non skid glass floor. ask how he likes it??

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

E-mail Addiced He ripped up his vinyl and I helped him put down a colored non skid glass floor. ask how he likes it??

Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

I replaced carpet with vinyl last winter in my 17.5' boat. Never looked back. Bought the material at Styles in Victoria - they call it a marine grade vinyl. Was about $120 for a 12x6' piece. Checked out commercial grade vinyl too - for decks and porches etc. and that would have run me easily $500 for the same size (much heavier gauge though) plus expensive glue.
As Wolf said, you can paint your floor with gel coat and nonskid too - probably the same cost, however, the moment you drop a cannonball or something else heavy on the floor the gel coat will crack and water can penetrate underneath and soak into your wooden floor/stringers. Therefore I opted for sealing the floor with epoxy and glueing the vinyl overtop - no way that water could ever get to the wood anymore.

I replaced carpet with vinyl last winter in my 17.5' boat. Never looked back. Bought the material at Styles in Victoria - they call it a marine grade vinyl. Was about $120 for a 12x6' piece. Checked out commercial grade vinyl too - for decks and porches etc. and that would have run me easily $500 for the same size (much heavier gauge though) plus expensive glue.
As Wolf said, you can paint your floor with gel coat and nonskid too - probably the same cost, however, the moment you drop a cannonball or something else heavy on the floor the gel coat will crack and water can penetrate underneath and soak into your wooden floor/stringers. Therefore I opted for sealing the floor with epoxy and glueing the vinyl overtop - no way that water could ever get to the wood anymore.

NO we put down some fibeglass mat and then tint in the resin so no way water will ever penetrate he took the vinyl out as it had gotten punchered and water in under neath , me personally dont like vinyl as for that reason once you get a nick or rip in it it will curl up and well that just plain SUCKS.
And if you hae ever seen him out there hes a bit rough ali weights flinging clubs,gaffs, smelly jelly oh the list goes on LOL LOL.

We had it done in about 20 mins after all the prep work was done which with either or application is going to be long.

good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

On the brothers boat we did pretty much everything, the original carpet fell apart after a few years and so was replaced with resin, matting and a topcoat of gelcoat with sand embedded on the surface...almost impossible to slip on it but the floor chipped easily and color matching was tough, after several years the wood started to rot from moisture on the underside (from the bilge, fish boxes etc) that couldn't escape once inside. He replaced it with marine plywood and topcoated with 2 coats of something called Ducan DeckMaster...rubberized stuff that comes pretinted and sticks like crazy. That was about 6 yrs ago and he has never looked back. Carpet...never, gelcoat...almost never, rubberized deck coating...definately.

quote:almost impossible to slip on it but the floor chipped easily

Thats really weird as I hae personally done this method on all my boats the origal "bluewolf" when I sold it had that same floor in it over 10 yrs and was used ALOT probablly 700 trips on it with no problem, and I wash down my boat everyday with water etc dropped cannon balls hali weights, everything and ive never had it chip off or rot the wood.
But I do know that carpet,vinyl,glass whatever you do if there is any hint of moisture on the wood it will come back and haunt you later on down the road, so whatever application you do get it into heated storage and really dry it out any hint of previous wetness or rot fix right away.

Good luck Wolf

Blue Wolf Charters
www.bluewolfcharters.com

Thx guys you gave me options that I have not thought of before. I'll do my homwork and this will be a great winter project.

Just noticed this topic, so sorry my response is so late. Wolfy did a great job on my floor with the aluminum non skid floor. I have a podded boat so the aluminum covers where the dog house was and makes for perfect storage when I bring my hali anchor on board. Sure great not to have a recycling bucket in the way with all my rope, chain, and anchor... We also ran a piece of aluminum up the "walkway" between the seats. As Roy put it, i'm a bit hard on the interior of my rig (not everyone on the site drives a Cadillac like you Roy!!) so the aluminum is awesome... That hali gear can cause havoc on any vinyl in the blink of an eye... prep was a bit of a ***** but it was totally worth it... the aluminum checker plate can be a bit pricey, but the nice thing is that you only ever have to do it once... i guess i should add that it's nice to have a buddy like Roy who knows what he was doing..... just my two bits. Good luck with the project!

I agree with Addicted. I have an aluminum floor (thanks to Roy) covering the stern of my boat which gets the greatest wear and it has stood up perfectly. It's not slippery and it is maintenance free.

quote:Originally posted by jimbob

I agree with Addicted. I have an aluminum floor (thanks to Roy) covering the stern of my boat which gets the greatest wear and it has stood up perfectly. It's not slippery and it is maintenance free.

“The Gods do not subtract from men’s lives - the time spent fishing.”

quote:Originally posted by jimbob

Can you give me more information regarding an aluminum floor. I need to do something an my vinyl is lifting and looks awful. Thanks.

“The Gods do not subtract from men’s lives - the time spent fishing.”

Back