Replace plywood deck flooring

I'm not saying poly is better then epoxy. I'm saying that the builder probably used plywood and covered it in vinyl and that is why it rotted out. Putting the poly or epoxy over it is better than new.

I'm not saying poly is better then epoxy. I'm saying that the builder probably used plywood and covered it in vinyl and that is why it rotted out. Putting the poly or epoxy over it is better than new.

I like the way you think.

My plywood floor isn’t rotted or soft at all. It’s just separated a bit where there is obviously a seam between two sheets of plywood. It’s not a tongue and groove type of plywood since it separated in a straight line which is perpendicular to the stringers. It currently has some sort of grip coating like Duradek that is flaking off. I’m gonna scrap that off, re-fasten the plywood, epoxy or polyester over screws and seams, then cover with another coating like interlux. I think that should be good for me for a while.

We’re talking a 1980 18’ boat here. I don’t need to make it last another 40 years.... let me know if I’m doing something horribly wrong

We’re talking a 1980 18’ boat here. I don’t need to make it last another 40 years.... let me know if I’m doing something horribly wrong
Exactly

Well I should say that it’s an old 1980 boat, but only 400 hours on the hull and original power, so it’s barely broken in hahaha. I don’t want to mess something up too bad by using ****** resin and trying to save $100.

I don’t think that I could go wrong by sprucing it up with a new interlux grippy floor. It might cost a few hundred dollars in material but I like a good project.

Fox, product info would be great. Is it possible to post pics of your finished project, also how thick of plywood did you end up using?
Sorry forgot about this thread. The anti skid deck coating I used was interlux interdeck. Can’t find the primer I used but if using epoxy you need the proper primer. And for epoxy i used west marine epoxy system. Was happy with all the products. Plywood I think was surprisingly thin. 3/8” I think. Had to match original.

Last edited:
Started a couple weeks ago and job complete!
Ended up going with 5/8” marine grade plywood, needed three sheets and they ain’t giving that stuff away. All cut to size then sanded with 180 grit, all sides and edges sealed with two coats of Interlux Interprotect two part epoxy thinning 15% with Interlux 216. For nonskid I went with a Interlux Interdeck which is one part and applied two coats. Both systems seem to apply well but was hoping the Interdeck to have more of a heavier texture but it is definitely nonskid. The Interdeck is a hard decking and the colour grey that I wanted was more of a light blue/grey.
I won’t use the Interdeck again, preference would be to have a heavier textured nonskid product with UV resistance. Similar to a box liner type material which isn’t so hard.

Any suggestions for a box liner nonskid type material I could use on the floor that is UV and salt water resistant?
Colour in a darker grey.

Thanks for your input!

heavy paint/ sprinkle on abrasive blast media like crushed glass of the appropriate grit, or sand.

This winter I had Blackline Marine remove my plywood deck on my Seasport and replaced all the fixed panels with new solid fiberglass ones....so no more wood. The only panels we didn't change were the 2 hatch covers for the below deck lockers. They were in good shape and because they aren't fixed I can see if they need attention to keep water out of the plywood core. The new panels are a little heavier than the old.

Back