Renfrew 2010 Reports

D

Dirty Oar2

Well figured i'd start the thread! Gonna pull the trailer out there this week and set up shop, heard things are heating up out there! Any reports???

Yup things are heating up the boys are calling me daily and i'm booked in vic till june 7th then i'm up there.Hope it stays hot for awhile all they told me was west was very hot for springs up to 30lb.

Went up yesterday and banged Hali, from 35-70lbs in short time one after another and moved in quickly to beach and got our salmon in short time. All columbian hatch cookie cutters biggest was 18. Prob caught 10-15 of them and released very easily as they were not good fighters and had ton of juice in them left. All in all a great day on the chuck and nice way to start the season off in renny!

whats the general strategy right now, hit carmanah for hali early in the morning then the beach for springs? Im out next sat night/sunday weather depending

img3937n.jpg

it's all in the tides salmon on the flood always up there unless your offshore.

whats the latest news? im out tomorrow, hope the forecasted winds dont show though [xx(]

img3937n.jpg

Fished Camper hard yesterday from 5:30 a.m. until 2:30 p.m. Landed a 17 pound hatchery fish plus a couple of ooho (released). Lost one small teenager at the boat. Perhaps a dozen boats at camper during the day and maybe an average of slightly under one fish per boat landed. Seals were a bit of an issue! Best thing yesterday was the great weather. It didn't blow hard at all.

quote:Originally posted by bananas

Nedarb go west young man go west!!

banks heating up? was going to fish the nw corner for hali in the morning then head to the beach but if thats where the fish are ill stay out

img3937n.jpg

Guys, off to Renfrew for first time July 8-11. Usually fish Sooke or Nootka. Not familar with area other than reviewing posts here and my logging days in the 70's. How is the second week of July usually? I hear things about the "Rock Pile" and "Owen Point" and "Carmanah". Would appreciate knowing a few of the other key places to look and what to avoid. What about "off shore". Any particular place you'd recommend. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Understood if you don't want to give up your honey holes. Just looking for general guidance.

Matador

Easy limits of springs on the beach if you willing to travel a bit further west than the usual haunts....Get nitinat as a general area in your head and go looking...;)

Pass the Pack

Hi Pescador

Good choice! Lots of fun to be had out of Renfrew, different than Nootka but at least equal to I'd say (and maybe better, with the new regs around Nootka -- Charlie, care to comment?).

This page gives general info as a starting point without giving away any secret spots:
http://www.fishingportrenfrew.ca/fishing.html

The map shows where Camper Creek, Owen Point, East Point, and Logan Creek are -- those are the summer hotspots along "the beach" (coastline from Owen Point northward) First spot is "the rockpile", can then just troll the coast north from there...follow the boats, there's salmon all along there. Fun part is, you tend to troll shallower than Sooke, 25 feet in 40-50 feet of water ... so when you get a 30 pounder on, there's no time spent swimming to the surface, it's all fight.

Carmanah is the lighthouse about a 40 minute run out of San Juan Harbour to the west, past Bonilla Point. It's a good starting point for halibut hunting, usually at anchor.

For Swiftsure, the map on that page above shows the closure...mark it on your GPS!!! The "chicken ranch" is on the southwest corner, not exactly giving away any secrets there, the summer prime time chicken halibut spot. Beyond that, you can just follow the boundaries to troll for salmon or find your own halibut spot. It is abundant with fish, but like anywhere, some places seem better than others on any given day ... that's fishing!

Fishing along the beach is pretty close to port, can be done in a little tinner if need be. But for swiftsure, make sure you have an offshore capable boat, with all the necessary safety gear (plus backups), and keep a close eye on the weather, especially SE winds....long trip back against the wind.

And don't forget your crab trap ... best crabbing around in the Harbour.

Good times! (I can hardly wait for summer....)

JDS- appreciate the info and site link. We're in a 21 Foot center console with redundancy on most systems. Will only try Swiftsure on a calm day likely. Are early a.m.'s generally calm with winds picking up early afternoon.

Matador

quote:Originally posted by Roe Bags

Easy limits of springs on the beach if you willing to travel a bit further west than the usual haunts....Get nitinat as a general area in your head and go looking...;)

Pass the Pack

x2

pescador it not like other places where calm in the morn windy in the aft there is usually not much wind from july on but it can get very ruff very fast morn noon or night out at the bank it's mostly tide related so be carefull out there.

Talked to the boys up west today and sounded quite a bit slower than has been has something to do with the big ebb tides i'm sure.

rough out there today [:0]

and some idiots were out there fishing it all day [:eek:)]
picked a pair out at walbran after we turned around trying to make it to carmanah. then released 4 undersize around cullite. We were the only boat out there that far, i dont think anybody went past camper for the most part of the day (or for the majority of it i know).

Crabbing was great!

img3937n.jpg

rough out there today [:0]

and some idiots were out there fishing it all day [:eek:)]
picked a pair out at walbran after we turned around trying to make it to carmanah. then released 4 undersize around cullite. We were the only boat out there that far, i dont think anybody went past camper for the most part of the day (or for the majority of it i know).

Crabbing was great!

img3937n.jpg

Well i managed to miss the crap weather from last weekend fished tues and weds and the water was great nice gental rolls and no wind to speak of. Fishing was excellent as well limits of haly to 50lbs came fast and bonus no doggies yet. Salmon was great to the west lots and lots of fish largest for me was 31lbs all on purple and pink haze squirts.Back at camper had good fishing on the afternoon flood tides, the cut plugers were doing best the largest weighed in was a 42lbs beauty!Nice fish Jackle.

Renfrew report all the way down on page 4! Must be a lot of guys fishing JDF in the wind I guess. Bananas, I saw you and your Grady in traffic yesterday heading west...looked like fun...

Sounds like salmon fishing in Renfrew has been pretty good, I've heard of four springs over 40 pounds in past week, plus a bunch in the 30s.

I'm sure Jackel's too proud to post a pic, so here you go...nice fish!

http://www.fishingportrenfrew.ca/report/wp-content/uploads/2010/06/mikej42pounder_2.jpg

Getting about time for me to hitch up the trailer and head west too... :D

http://fishingportrenfrew.ca
http://fishingsooke.ca
Follow us on Twitter: http://twitter.com/juandesooka

Back